Home > Trip Reports > April 2-3, 2016, Mt Adams, Some ice some corn.

April 2-3, 2016, Mt Adams, Some ice some corn.

4/2/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cascadekid on 4/6/16 2:33am
Nice.  Yeah, you would have saved some miles going up the 80.  Was up there on 4/3. 

The forest service is ill-equipped and under funded/staffed to deal with sleds on Adams in the Wilderness zone and res.  Is what it is.

nice TR. thanks for sharing. great effort to top out in a normal snow year, this time of year. too bad about snow conditions.

I spoke with the wilderness ranger, Justin, last year about the sleds. Supplied photos. FS has some ways they try to address it that make sense not to disclose here. I've also screen captured bunches of shots of instagram users who happily post their shots of ripping up bird creek meadows and above and have their full name/business websites on their profiles. One is even a mountaineer/climber out of hood river. Seems like a nice guy from other pictures, aside from showcasing illegal adams riding. I'd be happy to share the google drive folder if anyone would like. I tried contacting Yakima Nation and leaving their wildlands person a message but i never got a call back.

btw draconian in summer? Never once been checked, and only saw a ranger once.  I ended up climbing with them since we had the same pace, about 5 years ago and he never asked for my permit, on the way up, or when he came by as I took down camp later.

I mean that they charge for permits and monitor climber use much more closely. Likewise, NW forest passes are heavily enforced at the trailhead, and wilderness permits are checked on-hill as well.

author=Patarero link=topic=36239.msg147785#msg147785 date=1459966238]
Nice.  Yeah, you would have saved some miles going up the 80.  Was up there on 4/3. 

The forest service is ill-equipped and under funded/staffed to deal with sleds on Adams in the Wilderness zone and res.  Is what it is.

Based on a recent report here figure it only would have been a mile or two shorter up the other road. Do you have different beta?

author=water link=topic=36239.msg147786#msg147786 date=1459968609]

One is even a mountaineer/climber out of hood river. Seems like a nice guy from other pictures, aside from showcasing illegal adams riding.

I know exactly who you are talking about...

Reply to this TR

april-2-3-2016-mt-adams-some-ice-some-corn
cascadekid
2016-04-06 09:33:18