4/2/16 Gunbarrel 25 Heavenly Valley

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Apr 2016 19:24 #226747 by avajane
4/2/16 Gunbarrel 25 Heavenly Valley was created by avajane
Can't walk well and will go to sleep soon,but today I did 32 laps of the "Gunbarrel" bump run in a competition. 1700' of nasty moisten frozen - then slush bumps. For an old man bump skier a pretty good day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2016 20:52 #226748 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: 4/2/16 Gunbarrel 25 Heavenly Valley
Big congrats!....Always like your reports....you just jumped up the hard core vert oh big time fun oh meter! See any big "old" ones - like Mr Plake? I love Gunbarrel! Never ending fun...when its soft for my old person bump skiing style....Again Very Big Congrats!

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Apr 2016 00:43 #226750 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: 4/2/16 Gunbarrel 25 Heavenly Valley
Truly, at age 59 I impressed myself. I've been a season pass holder at Whistler for many years now and I guess I have Big Mountain legs. It's not me - it's the mountain. And....as soon as it softened some I skied the bumps head on lap after lap. The local winners found ways around the bumps half the time...........

More
03 Apr 2016 11:21 #226752 by CD
Wow, nice job Avajane! Gun Barrel is an awesome run with the great views of Lake Tahoe on the way down the bumps. Those local guys that were finding a way around the bumps are posers. Long live the boss skiers of the NW (or SW when in Canada)!

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Apr 2016 21:57 #226754 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: 4/2/16 Gunbarrel 25 Heavenly Valley
I had a smile on my face the whole time. Gunbarrel is a beautiful run that I had last skied in the 80's. The local contenders were really good skiers - they were just trying to "win" a race. I had gone down there to ski the bumps. Like Glen Plake says "Show me how you ski the bumps". As soon as the bumps on the top section were skiable, me and a half dozen skiers made a point of skiing them like they're supposed to be skied - as good as our tired legs allowed. The bottom half never got really skiable except for a few of the young hot guys. (Nearly vertical side walls of yellow and white water ice between bumps) I went slow thru those areas.

I'll write a report of the whole deal later.