Home > Trip Reports > March 30/31, Hidden Lake Lookout, NCNP

March 30/31, Hidden Lake Lookout, NCNP

3/30/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Kenji on 4/1/16 3:20am
Headed out to spend a night at the lookout before the Cascade road gets closed for weeks. Parked the car around 2900', started skiing half mile before the TH sign. I took a Spring route through the forest starting from the boulder field, just go straight up until you gain the SW ridge then follow it to the upper slope.  That's safer/quicker than the Summer or the Winter routes given a good snowpack. It took me a long while to reach the lookout, breaking own trail was a little slow going with a overnight pack (but no tent!).

I had visited the lookout once years ago, this was my first time spending a night.  I had it all to myself this day...except some uninvited mice.  Spectacular views all around, the sunset was beautiful and the stars were gorgeous, except light pollution from nearby cities seemed to spoil the night sky.

Had a leisurely morning waiting for the snow to soften, skied down to the lake and looped around the peak.  There is so much to ski here!

Thanks for all the volunteers maintaining the lookout!! It's a lovely to place to stay.  More pics here.
Nice looking tracks in those pictures as usual, Kenji!
I've got to get up to that spot

Cheers

Beautiful photos. Must have been a great night. Thanks for sharing.

I got Sphincteritis from looking at that traverse ! RAD.

incredible photos

Nice tr and pictures (as usual...)--looks like a magical place.

What a great spot - need to get back there and ski more of the terrain.
Were you able to drive to the TH?
Killer photos!

Reply to this TR

march-30-31-hidden-lake-lookout-ncnp
Kenji
2016-04-01 10:20:25