Canyons 3/30

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2016 23:54 #226732 by avajane
Canyons 3/30 was created by avajane
Had a nice 30k mostly groomer day. A few new inches of powder but it skied very heavy off the groomed except on perfect north faces. Had a fantastic gourmet lunch at the Lookout Cabin with real drinks! (Not just the 3.2 beers they serve everywhere else.) I hit a few more of their "double blacks" off the two steeper chairs but then was content to try to ski all of their lifts in a day....great snow when it's fresh but overall Park City/Canyons disappointed because or miles and miles of really flat "blue" runs that would be greens at many other resorts. Each resort had about 3 descent advanced chairs and everything else was a flat trail. Stevens pass has Double Diamond, the two Backside chairs and Seventh Heaven. Those stack up quite nicely to Park City and Canyons best. Though they compare in acreage, there is zero comparison to Whistler/Blackcomb or even Whistler or Blackcomb. I love the powder day Utah gave us
but I'm looking forward to Heavenly Valley Bumps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
01 Apr 2016 12:08 #226737 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Canyons 3/30
I've enjoyed the terrain off Ninety-Nine 90 as well as Peak 5 the few times I've been there, but I've never had a chance to catch the stuff off Super Condor and Murdock Peak with sufficient coverage. The Dreamscape / Dreamcatcher zone is a hoot with fresh snow - it's mellow enough that a few inches of that Utah-quality snow can make for a fun day in the wide-open trees over there.

But yeah, the amount of long, mostly flat cruising that's required to get from zone to zone is tedious and unappealing. And the connection to what used to be PCMR is mostly a joke - you'll spend an hour just traveling between the two areas and the new gondi doesn't drop you off high enough up Pinecone Ridge to be worthwhile. The Short Cut chair at The Canyons is "interesting" though...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.