Home > Trip Reports > March 31, 2016, The Swath

March 31, 2016, The Swath

3/31/16
Posted by mikerolfs on 3/31/16 2:17pm
You guys had better skiing given those smiles than us at end of our traverse a few weeks ago.  I might go back up there before it melts out.

Another great trip, thanks you guys, a few more pictures. Great views as well.

We skied it yesterday (4/3) and still largely skinned / skied to and from the truck.  I'd guess we took our skis off ~15 times on the FS road up to the bottom of the swath, but only the carry closest to the truck was longer than 100 feet (I'd guess 5 min walk).  The snow was still great, perfect corn most of the Swath's path, a bit heavy mashed potatoes just where it meets the FS road.

We climbed lookers right (hitting the ridge between Swath and the White Pine Cirque) which was a big mistake, and ultimately swam / scrambled up the last few hundred feet giving the Swath cornices a wide birth.  One in particular is ready to go, already starting to peel off & separate from the mountain side, and it's really big.

there's a big stretch of muddy & rutty road just prior to getting to the Bible Camp gate, I don't think cars could make it now - it was squirrely for us in the truck, in 4x4 low.

Reply to this TR

march-31-2016-the-swath
mikerolfs
2016-03-31 21:17:08