Home > Trip Reports > March 30, 2016, Crystal Lakes Basin Corn and Powder

March 30, 2016, Crystal Lakes Basin Corn and Powder

3/30/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Eric Lindahl on 3/30/16 11:16am
Thought I'd do a report if anyone wants to get after some corn.  Short story is you might find some fine south slope skiing if your timing is good and it gets cold enough tonight, (see last nites temps on telemetry for Crystal Mt.)

Had a great time on north facing side country yesterday mining neglected powder, (~7 laps at ~30 old school little turns under Pinball, Throne, etc), so I thought I'd see if I could get some corn on south aspects today.  Was early so killed time with a lap under Pinball and it was still very fun, those little turns are mine...  Killed more time on the groomers then went for my favorite SSW aspect into Crystal Lks Basin about 11:15.  It was too early.  I was looking for smooth easy corn but it was scratchy, watch-your-speed, on this long steep slope.  I coulda taken another lap and it probably would have been perfect but it was such a beautiful day with snow caked winter like vistas on all the cliffs surrounding the various sub basins that I opted for a circuit tour.  No partner so didn't feel comfortable doing anything ambitious.  Poked around in areas seldom visited and found small pockets of still fun, dryish powder as well as not so dry.  I did get alot of caking of snow on the skins going from wet sunny snow to cold shadowed snow but didn't care it was so purdy and fun to be out. 

The south slopes seem to be well consolidated and good for corn conditions if you are so inclined.  Moderate to light snow rollers in the usual areas but didn't hamper any lines I took.  Hopefully it will be good tomorrow for someone.

Reply to this TR

march-30-2016-crystal-lakes-basin-corn-and-powder
Eric Lindahl
2016-03-30 18:16:49