Home > Trip Reports > March 28, 2016, Diamond Head, Blewett

March 28, 2016, Diamond Head, Blewett

3/28/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by glenn_b on 3/29/16 11:40am
With some time to kill between child-chaffeuring duties and needing exercise, drove up and over Blewett Pass to the upper Tronsen plow-out. Skied due south up the most direct route to the N end of Diamond Head, booting the last couple hundred feet. Views were better than expected and I regretted not bringing the binoculars. Pretty good skiing down the E face of Diamond Head to the XC-15 trail below. Get on it; the weather this week will not be kind to the Blewett snowpack.

Also, noticed some tracks on the upper Tronsen Road that looked like snow-bikes - ~a foot wide with treads. The Tronsen basin's an official non-motorized zone, right?
Thanks for the trip report - my last visit to the area was in January. Were you able to skin from the trailhead?

The Upper Tronsen Road Trail is in the Non-Motorized Area, however, since it crosses the groomed snowmobile trail near Blewett Pass it does't surprise me to hear of motorized "incursions" into the area.

author=PhilH link=topic=36147.msg147545#msg147545 date=1459353140]
Were you able to skin from the trailhead?

Yes.

How was the ski out on XC-15? Last time I was there the snowpack was already very thin, lots of small logs/branches poking out and waiting to grab an unsuspecting skier.

author=rover link=topic=36147.msg147574#msg147574 date=1459445610]
How was the ski out on XC-15? Last time I was there the snowpack was already very thin, lots of small logs/branches poking out and waiting to grab an unsuspecting skier.

Yes, noticed that on my way out. Went back yesterday with the pruning saw and cleared the trail up to the 1st opening under Diamond Head. There's still a log across the trail just below there but easily ducked under. Snow coverage is pretty good.

author=glenn_b link=topic=36147.msg147534#msg147534 date=1459305637]

Also, noticed some tracks on the upper Tronsen Road that looked like snow-bikes - ~a foot wide with treads. The Tronsen basin's an official non-motorized zone, right?

Reprised this tour today and while up top, heard the putt-putt of a snow-bike behind and below us. Skiing down, saw the track of a snow-bike that had come up the XC-15 trail before cutting over to N side of Windy Knob. They'd come over from the Blewett Pass sno-park.  Will be looking for this player, hoping to educate about the meaning of blue diamonds nailed to trees.

Inspired by TAY and friend and I decided to check this area out as we'd never been before. The approach snow can't last much longer and the snow quality left much to be desired (not much of a refreeze last night) but it was cool to see a new area. Stellar views at the top of Diamond Head and nice slopes up there.

We also found a helmet, goggles, gloves and sunglasses dumped in a bundle in the middle of one of the xc trails. They had clearly been there since at least the day before and we guessed that perhaps someone set them down on the return and forgot to ever pick them up. If they are yours or you might know who they belong to please get in touch with me so they can be returned home. I'm in Seattle but can mail to the eastside if need be or wherever the owner is. Looks like snowboarder gear most likely.

Reply to this TR

march-28-2016-diamond-head-blewett
glenn_b
2016-03-29 18:40:37