Home > Trip Reports > 3/26 Chair Peak Basin - Eyes of the World

3/26 Chair Peak Basin - Eyes of the World

3/26/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Griff on 3/27/16 10:12am
So last year I gave my daughter Avy gear for Christmas.......and we had no snow. And no touring. Of course this year has been much better, but lift served skiing and busy lives has prevented us from finally doing that 1st real tour together. Sure we have climbed up the ski areas before the season has started, but not real BC.

https://vimeo.com/160558088

So while things were looking good but not great for yesterday, I decided it finally needed to happen. My goal was to ski the NE bowl of Chair Peak hoping for soft cold snow with the straightforward and "easy" touring of the basin. The touring was mostly easy with the caveat of the snowshoe holes in the skin track. Why, oh why?

But the NE bowl was half slide debris. The left side looked good but 2 large cornices were getting hit by the sun and I didn't want to take the chance. So we decided to turn around at lunch rock and ski the warm snow on the SE side. Plus it's fair to say my daughter learned that touring is harder physically than it looks. She had a fitness watch and monitor on, telling us we burned 1300 calories on our 2 hour/2000 vf climb.

The ski down, fun! Some deeper glop and crusty stuff at the top. Than really nice firm base with an inch of corn in the middle to bottom. A perfect day to celebrate a good week where we learned she had gotten in to the UW!!!

Oh and the song, two meanings; one, such a pretty view up there and two, the line that "You are the song that the morning brings" is the joy that my daughter brings to me.
'Grats to your young 'un for getting into UW! Must be relieving to know you'll still be able to ski w/ your daughter while she gets a top notch education (and hey, college passes are kind to the wallet, too). UW's a big school, but they've got a great club of freeriders who get after it more than they probably should (I know I did during my time there). Yesterday was a beautiful day for a tour, even if it got warmer than desired in the afternoon.

^^^^ Thanks man. Yep, always good to "get in" and I am an alum as is her mama. She has gotten few "yes" answers including the ASU Bioengineering program. Friday is the big day..........maybe Stanford!

As for UW freeriding good to hear. I ran the UW ski school from 1988 to 1997. Love the kids and the past 2 years doing the Collegiate freeride comps with my son has been a blast. 

It was lovely day, wouldn't change a thing!

Reply to this TR

3-26-chair-peak-basin-eyes-of-the-world
Griff
2016-03-27 17:12:18