Home > Trip Reports > March 26, 2016, Aasgard Pass

March 26, 2016, Aasgard Pass

3/26/16
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by sam18802 on 3/27/16 4:22am
I remember thinking of how cool it would be trying to snowboard down Aasgard last summer when I took a friend to camp in the Enchantments....but never thought I would ever have the chance to actually try. JT and I started Friday just after midnight in hopes of reaching Colchuck Lake by sunrise. The start was perfect and trail conditions were iced over enough to wear my snowboard boots the entire way without any post-holing! We hit the Lake early and were able to behold a glorious sunrise as we traversed across. Our original plan was to hit Colchuck Peak and see what climbing conditions were like on the South side of Dragontail. Skinning up the first few sections of Colchuck we encountered varied snow conditions and heavy winds higher up. We ended up going for Aasgard Pass instead in hopes of finding improved conditions. To our surprise, Aasgard had much better conditions and we topped out just before noon when the sun moved into the area! Great views, lots of caffeine, energy gels and a fun descent! We made it back to the car at 5 PM.
Little Annapurna

Sweet! Whats up with road conditions? Internet says Icicle and 8 Mile roads are open... Did you park at the trailhead?

Thanks!

author=tabski link=topic=36128.msg147475#msg147475 date=1459124184]
Sweet! Whats up with road conditions? Internet says Icicle and 8 Mile roads are open... Did you park at the trailhead?

Thanks!

it should be a rule that this information is always posted when a TR from the stuart range goes up.

The road is still closed but snow doesn't start consistently until about 2 miles up it. From there you can skin the rest. Luckily for us the snow was iced up enough to walk quickly and get to the Lake before sunrise.

Great report.
Glad you made it up there - it's a beautiful area (with a price to pay for visiting).  Thanks for road condition update.

Reply to this TR

march-26-2016-aasgard-pass
sam18802
2016-03-27 11:22:39