Home > Forum > March 26, 2016 avy on Gib chute

March 26, 2016 avy on Gib chute

• altasnob
  • [altasnob]
More
27 Mar 2016 09:29 #226679 by altasnob
March 26, 2016 avy on Gib chute was created by altasnob
avy came down around noon. Photo was taken at Castle saddle. Anyone get a better view up on Muir? Pretty impressive.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Amar Andalkar
  • [andalkar]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Mar 2016 00:16 #226689 by Amar Andalkar
Replied by Amar Andalkar on topic Re: March 26, 2016 avy on Gib chute
Assuming that you're referring to the biggest avalanche of the day, the one at 12:22pm: the avalanche was definitely not from Gib Chute, or even particularly near Gib Chute. Even though it sort of looks like that in your photo. It would be very unusual to get an avalanche of that size in or near Gib Chute. The avalanche apparently started in the more typical region just above Nisqually Ice Cliff, or perhaps the adjacent edge of Nisqually Cleaver, on the opposite side from Gib Chute.

I missed the first couple seconds of it while skinning up near 8600 ft on the Muir Snowfield, so I never saw the exact starting point. Upon hearing the sound, I quickly shot a still photo followed by 15 seconds of mediocre video, not worth posting. Here's a crop from the still photo which clearly shows where the avalanche came from (there was no time to zoom in, so despite a 16x optical zoom on my digicam, the quality is not great):

Here's a view of the debris field taken about 15 minutes later near 9000 ft, cropped from an iPhone panorama:

By the way, the ski conditions were really excellent up high on the Muir Snowfield, several inches of quite smooth powder atop a firm supportive base, with very few wind features protruding up through the powder. And stellar weather too, nearly calm with temps in the mid-20s F. Here's another iPhone panorama showing the smooth untracked pow:

File Attachment:

[size=small](click for double-size version)[/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.