3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Mar 2016 09:33 #226644 by Gary Vogt
3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed was created by Gary Vogt
Mount Rainier National Park's backcountry campsite reservation system has crashed.  Existing reservations are cancelled and all permits will be first-come, first served this year.  Though this TNT article doesn't specifically mention climbing, I believe this means sites such as Muir and Schurman will no longer be reserveable:
www.thenewstribune.com/outdoors/article67900817.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyrew
  • [andyrew609]
More
24 Mar 2016 13:51 #226361 by andyrew
Replied by andyrew on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed
Wow...just wow. I can appreciate that legacy software and technological debt are easy to accrue, but between the forest service and other national parks, surely this wheel (a reservation system) has been solved at least a dozen times by different agencies. And the lack of off-site backup boggles the mind.

More
24 Mar 2016 15:42 - 24 Mar 2016 15:46 #226650 by water
I'm still entirely baffled about how a storm can cause a permanent software failure...very very confusing. This is like the pool having a leak at a hotel, results in everyone's reservation getting expunged?? I can draw some very fine line of connection but until it is explained in more detail, it sounds totally asinine. Unfortunately I suspect if it was explained in more detail, the resultant facepalm would be great enough to cause severe facial trauma, hence the scanty details. Next up, most park staff business conducted via legacy @hotmail.com email addresses and major workflow problems because geocities shut down.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 Mar 2016 17:36 #226652 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed
LMAO! Junior meadow rover ranger computer wizzes--not even 1970! LMAO

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
24 Mar 2016 19:12 #226654 by bfree32
Replied by bfree32 on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed
Hey at least they'll be free this year (no charge for walk-ups). But what a crapshoot.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
24 Mar 2016 20:27 #226578 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed
Sounds like a market testing method to see what the price barriers will be in the future...

... create chaos and charge lots more for certainty...

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
25 Mar 2016 06:44 #226658 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed

I'm still entirely baffled about how a storm can cause a permanent software failure...very very confusing....

I suspect that the system wasn't ready for prime time and one of the many problems was a lack of fault tolerance for a power or network outage at the Tacoma Woods administrative center. (A single tree falling could take out power and network connections to that location) Being able to point to some "unforeseen natural disaster" as the source of the missed deadline sounds better going up the management chain than "Initial load testing shows that the system will fall over on opening day when there are tens of thousands of reservation requests"

Remember how under capacity HealthCare.gov was during it's first few months ? Nobody in the NPS wanted a repeat of those circumstances.

With the "first come, first served" policy this year -- I wonder if there will end up being long queues of people camped outside the three stations where the permits are issued.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Mar 2016 07:57 #226672 by Gary Vogt
Replied by Gary Vogt on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed
Tips for scoring 2016 walk-up climbing permits:
mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/2016/0...ts-walk-up-only.html

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Mar 2016 16:22 - 28 Mar 2016 16:26 #226699 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: 3-24-16 MRNP Reservation System Changed

Wow...just wow.  I can appreciate that legacy software and technological debt are easy to accrue, but between the forest service and other national parks, surely this wheel (a reservation system) has been solved at least a dozen times by different agencies.  And the lack of off-site backup boggles the mind.

Recreation.gov exists for a reason... sounds like it's time to onboard national park backcountry campsites

More
29 Mar 2016 13:11 #226702 by water
So how are the guide companies going to be handling their guided climb reservations? I can't help but imagine that they're going to be given preferential treatment--hard to imagine a 12 person Muir DC guided group getting bumped to plan B because there are more people in line ahead of them and permits fill up. Or heck that even happening for a Kautz climb since there are more limited numbers allowed there.

Given that they will book climbs now for dates in the summer.. without being able to reserve until the day before, it's just interesting.. haven't seen any response from guiding companies yet, makes me think they've got their arrangement worked out, it's the public is SOL.

More
29 Mar 2016 15:37 #226703 by gail

More
29 Mar 2016 16:06 #226705 by water
thanks for the link. So there's the true racket. I Didn't realize they had a 2nd tier reservation system, but I guess I have a little more insight on that now too. Whenever someone suggests I give the FS or NPS a break or give them the benefit of the doubt, you can provide example upon example of actions speaking louder than words about what is important and prioritized. The end-user recreationalist looking for free/low cost public land human powered beyond 500m of the parking lot, amenity-free activity is rarely a priority.

informal: an illegal or dishonest scheme for obtaining money.
"a protection racket"
synonyms: scheme, fraud, swindle; More
a person's line of business or way of life.
"I'm in the insurance racket"