Home > Forum > Punching for Haglund's deformity

Punching for Haglund's deformity

• jakedouglas
  • [jakedouglas]
More
23 Mar 2016 16:50 #226632 by jakedouglas
Punching for Haglund's deformity was created by jakedouglas
I have Haglund's deformity, bumps on the back of the heels, slightly toward the outside. These don't play well with the shape of the TLT6s I got this year and have been getting more and more aggravated as the season goes on. I need to fix it, but doing a punch seems like it could be a bad idea. The area that would need to be punched is right next to the rear hinge thingy. I'm concerned that to get the required amount of volume punched out here would run a high risk of warping and screwing up the hinge and alignment of everything. My local shop techs have agreed that this is somewhat iffy and I might not be able to get the space I need.

My Aliens don't have this problem to the same degree and I am considering ordering the F1 from Europe, but I would really prefer to make this boot work. Has anyone done a punch like this without screwing up your boot? Any other Haglund's tips?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
23 Mar 2016 19:17 #226635 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Punching for Haglund's deformity
I had mine cut off and that was the only fix for me. Over 25 years of pain gone!!!

More
26 Mar 2016 21:55 #226678 by melchap
Replied by melchap on topic Re: Punching for Haglund's deformity
I have this issue too from years of running. I get nasty blisters. I usually add some body glide to my heals and back of leg for longer tours. That helps a lot. In my last boots all the rubbing actually wore away the liner and made a nice pocket for my Hagland's bump. After that no more blisters! I just got new boots but didn't do anything special to them. Hopefully I don't have issues. I've never had a boot punched in the back before.

• jakedouglas
  • [jakedouglas]
More
19 Dec 2016 11:18 #227836 by jakedouglas
Replied by jakedouglas on topic Re: Punching for Haglund's deformity
FWIW I decided not to try punching the TLT6s in this area and am selling them. The configuration of the hinge and the thick plastic made success highly improbable.

I did however have success punching my Aliens in this area and similarly with F1 Evos this year.

The work was done by Mike at Pro Ski in North Bend.
Attachments: