Home > Trip Reports > December 17, 2005,  Paradise area

December 17, 2005,  Paradise area

12/17/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by russ on 12/18/05 7:10am
Even though we knew skiing condition weren't going to be very good Rainer R and I decided to get some exercise and the few turns to be had.

Skinned over to Pan Pt were we could see more people coming down than going up. Several verified that it was blowing fairly hard and consistently higher up. A lot of scraping was heard from the few skiing/boarding down on the left (climbers view). As we zigzagged up to the pt we noted 1-2" on spindrift on the right side, so made this our route down after verifying the consistency of the wind. Indeed the  turns were very nice for 2-300 ft when we hit wind/sun crusted stuff at the bottom.

Wanting to extend our day we cut across Edith Basin to run below Golden Gate (I think that's what that area is called). We had to work for the turns in the crusted snow, but hit enough pockets to lure us up for another run.  

Went up to hit the nw slopes of ridge extending down from Sluikit Falls. We actually found some very nice sections working our way down to the road for the skin back to Paradise.

Not the best day I've had, but not the worst either.
Nice job sniffing out the goods, Russ.
Looks like next Sunday will bring all new challenges, eh?

Reply to this TR

december-17-2005-a-paradise-area
russ
2005-12-18 15:10:06