Home > Trip Reports > March 16 Lanham/Jim Hill

March 16 Lanham/Jim Hill

3/16/16
US elsewhere
Posted by NickD on 3/16/16 2:07pm
North facing slopes above the lake held nice light yet stable March powder. Saw and experienced no signs of instability. Only a few short sun appearances kept it cool so it might last another day. Much lighter than Alpy on the 15th.  Many thanks to the couple setting the trail. I hope you completed the Arrowhead traverse.

FYI: the gate to the Nordic Center was locked at 3:15pm when I exited so on weekdays, always park outside the gate, even if you see it open.
Thanks for the report Nick. We were undecided on a destination driving up, but this helped us choose an old favorite. We took the other approach up the creek, which wasn't bad (esp. since another group of 3 ahead of us broke trail most of the way - thanks guys!). Crusty snow on the east facing slopes as we left the trees had us wondering if we'd made a big mistake, but the upper slopes were excellent - just a touch of wind effect on the surface that didn't get in the way of wonderful turns. Both parties made two runs, but there is still a lot of beautiful snow left up there. Exit was fine until the last clear cut that had refrozen into a breakable trap crust. John used his Silvan Sudan tail turn to bust it up down the fall line, while Eric & I traversed back and forth very cautiously. We all agreed it was one of our best days of the season.

Reply to this TR

march-16-lanham-jim-hill
NickD
2016-03-16 21:07:49