Home > Trip Reports > March 11, 2016, Paradise

March 11, 2016, Paradise

3/11/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 3/11/16 11:42am
East wind in morning , 2" freshies over many many varieties of breakable crust below 6000' down to 4500'

Settled for a Nordic type tour with Herr Vogt down Mazama ridge to Refrigerator and back to p lot .

Snowing a bit when us old crusts left the crust at 230 pm.

Better days ahead .
yu a betta man dan Regine, Gunga Din; we turned around at the lot when the wind tried to blow the doors off the jeep and Regine could find nothing but hard ice crust under 2 inches of moving spindrift in the snow in the lower parking lot; I'm still playing it safe, as you know!  Another injury could kill my bc skiing.  How's YOUR knee? LOL

Well, that certainly was a lesson!   

Who knew it was possible for two experienced skiers to misjudge snow conditions so badly?  And where did all those mega-runnels come from?  The coral reefs under the trees were bad enough, but the tree wells were truly evil.  That was an amazingly difficult thousand vertical feet of descent, especially considering it stretched on for two miles.  I crashed six times, more than all the previous 39 days this winter combined!   

I hope your trip was one of those where "you don't have to be having fun to have fun".

That tour qualified as "When you're in hell just keep going " and in a perverted way it was fun.

Reply to this TR

march-11-2016-paradise
Robie
2016-03-11 19:42:08