telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/29/17, 04:36 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Morton's Neuroma
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morton's Neuroma  (Read 37700 times)
khyak

Re: Morton's Neuroma
« Reply #25 on: 05/22/16, 11:11 AM »

My wife has gone with the alcohol injections and they have worked well.  She goes to Issaquah foot and ankle where they use an ultrasound to image the oversized nerve then shoot alcohol into it.  She usually takes about three shots to reach the point where the pain is gone but she still has some feeling.  The pad under the forefoot helps and never wearing tight(width) shoes is huge.
jcocci

« Reply #26 on: 05/22/16, 03:29 PM »

No, haven't gone forward with the alcohol injections, yet.  Went back to the doctor and he wanted to try 2 more steroid injections.  I don't seem to have as much pain, particularly when wearing good shoes, but after spending a week in Hawaii running around in flip flops, the pain's back with a vengeance.  Will be making an appointment soon, after my schedule settles down.

Speaking of flip flops you should check the Vionic ones. I bought  pari on the suggestion of the foot doctor I am going to and I love them.
jcocci

« Reply #27 on: 05/22/16, 03:30 PM »

OK good to know. I have an appt in a week with may doctor to discuss the alcohol injections.
« Last Edit: 01/03/17, 05:47 PM by jcocci » Logged
jcocci

« Reply #28 on: 01/03/17, 05:46 PM »

So a follow up to my situation. I ended up having the surgery. 8 weeks ago today. Healing up nicely, but still have some healing to do. Was given the green light to be more active and go snowboarding, just need to careful still. Went for a skin today (just did some laps at Hyak to test things out) and felt great. Had some soreness due to the healing but the sharp pains are now gone. So glad I had the surgery. Doctor said mine was a pretty decent sized one and that I made the right call to have the surgery. Can post a photo of the neuroma looks like if anyone wants to see it. Its pretty gnarly.
jakedouglas

« Reply #29 on: 01/03/17, 07:56 PM »

Good to hear it is working well so far. Orthotics and several rounds of steroid injections have not been able to resolve this for my wife, so she is having it removed soon.

I can't say I am interested in seeing the photo.
jcocci

« Reply #30 on: 01/05/17, 03:55 PM »

Good to hear it is working well so far. Orthotics and several rounds of steroid injections have not been able to resolve this for my wife, so she is having it removed soon.

I can't say I am interested in seeing the photo.

Based on my experience I think thats a good call. So far everyone I have spoke with who has had the surgery says they are glad they did and wish they had done it sooner. Sucks to be out of commission for a while but there really is no good time of year to do so just have to do it. Definitely make sure she is prepared to do nothing for a while.
kamtron

« Reply #31 on: 01/05/17, 05:01 PM »

Photo gnar!
Teleskichica

« Reply #32 on: 01/05/17, 05:06 PM »

I'm interested in the pictures... This has flared up for me this season when running, skiing, or climbing and it is awful. The shock wave it sends when I hit it "just right" makes me double over involuntarily.

I got my first cortisone injection three weeks ago to give that a try but I don't notice anything different. Scared of the surgery, but good to hear you are liking the results.

Livin' high on the cold smoke!
jcocci

« Reply #33 on: 01/05/17, 05:36 PM »

I'm interested in the pictures... This has flared up for me this season when running, skiing, or climbing and it is awful. The shock wave it sends when I hit it "just right" makes me double over involuntarily.

I got my first cortisone injection three weeks ago to give that a try but I don't notice anything different. Scared of the surgery, but good to hear you are liking the results.

Based on my experience don't be afraid of the surgery other than being out of commission for a while and its surgery so its expensive, unless your insurance covers it. In the long run you'll be much happier.

I'll post the photo. Either here or online somewhere in case anyone who sees this thread doesn't care to see it.
jcocci

« Reply #34 on: 01/11/17, 06:58 AM »

I'm interested in the pictures...

Here's the link for anyone who cares to look. This is what they took out of my foot. My nerve is supposed to look like the small strand on the lower left. So it was quite inflamed.

https://johncocci.smugmug.com/Neuroma/n-5kWcGf
markharf

« Reply #35 on: 01/11/17, 08:29 AM »

Not exactly what I wanted to wake up to this morning, but highly informative. Thanks for the photo.
jcocci

« Reply #36 on: 01/11/17, 08:31 AM »

Not exactly what I wanted to wake up to this morning, but highly informative. Thanks for the photo.

You didn't have to click on the link. Smiley
markharf

« Reply #37 on: 01/11/17, 03:20 PM »

I had to click on the link. No choices, no options, no free will. But maybe that's just me [insert smiley of your choice].
AlpineRose

« Reply #38 on: 01/11/17, 05:44 PM »

No wonder your foot hurt.  That pic looks like a baby space monster.
powcarvin
5Member

« Reply #39 on: 01/17/17, 04:24 PM »

Before you see a surgeon try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ROKuM3rjs - this one is for the morton's neuroma

I am not completely pain free but this has helped tremendously. Requires dedication but well worth the effort.

If you are in the South end see Dr. Faith Doyle. She is a chiropractor and recommended this therapy. She is amazing and has never failed to help with a variety of aliments
kamtron

« Reply #40 on: 01/17/17, 04:31 PM »

Awesome, so gross. Glad you got that sucker out of there
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.