telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/15/18, 07:47 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  So Boring Here
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Boring Here  (Read 61246 times)
flowing alpy

So Boring Here
« on: 03/07/16, 05:12 AM »

Last good discussion's involved bunny hopping dog poop and which soup to slurp.
This joint could use a Random topic o the day to keep it interesting.

Otherwise, hey, it's a ski n sno-board site for the stealth downhill after secret uphill crew, so business as usual.
« Last Edit: 03/07/16, 05:17 AM by flowing alpy » Logged
Passenger
5Member

Re: So Boring Here
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/16, 07:33 AM »

Yes but it is polite
davidG

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/16, 10:13 AM »

yeah, this should be a Telemark forum ~ everything else is so milque-toast..

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
Skier of the Hood

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/16, 10:47 AM »

For constant entertainment of questionable substance I recommend backcountry yyc https://www.facebook.com/groups/532259223516611/

or south coast
https://www.facebook.com/groups/swbcbackcountryski/
« Last Edit: 03/07/16, 11:10 AM by Skier of the Hood » Logged

"As we all know, the true driving force behind every early morning wake up is not necessarily safety, but the overpowering drive to be sitting on a patio by 1 pm, intoxicated, and spraying loudly about the morning's adventure."

-Andrew Wexler 2011
flowing alpy

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/16, 05:56 PM »

The mothership supplies enough stimuli, just enjoy the local banter with my irl friends.
glenn_b

« Reply #5 on: 03/07/16, 06:09 PM »

Missing the Scotsman to stir the pot? Me, too.
silaswild

« Reply #6 on: 03/07/16, 06:26 PM »

Lurkers please post more conditions reports here, and pot stirring comments at TGR thanks!
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/109620-Best-Gaper-qoute-of-the-weekend/page252
shred

« Reply #7 on: 03/07/16, 06:59 PM »

Ohh, I wouldn't mind a little "Padded Room" action here... for the articles you know. Cheesy
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/202302-Part-2-Padded-Room-Special-Collection-Of-Junk-That-More-Than-Likely-Will-Be-NSFW/page788
wickstad

« Reply #8 on: 03/07/16, 07:52 PM »

Last good discussion's involved bunny hopping dog poop and which soup to slurp.

Otherwise, hey, it's a ski n sno-board site for the stealth downhill after secret uphill crew, so business as usual.

You have the power.  Make it the change you would like to see.  Oh wait.  You are more of a bore than that which you criticize.
tele.skier

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/16, 08:22 PM »

boredom is a self inflicted wound....!

the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile
flowing alpy

« Reply #10 on: 03/08/16, 05:19 AM »

You have the power.  Make it the change you would like to see.  Oh wait.  You are more of a bore than that which you criticize.
This is good, ideas and posts, proclamations and post, critical thinking and post.
davidG

« Reply #11 on: 03/08/16, 07:29 AM »

I just look at the pictures..

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
gravyb
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 03/08/16, 08:37 AM »

Should I let go of my powder skiing turn radius snobbery?  I used to scoff at people who make 30 tiny feet right together hip swiveling turns on a run I might ski in 5 turns.  Maybe these folks are tuned in to something I can't perceive?  Are they ex mono skiers or do they spend ours on their skiers edge at-home training device?  Or, the question I'm afraid to ask, are they having more fun than me?
filbo

« Reply #13 on: 03/08/16, 09:20 AM »

It's all gravy, gravyb, and kudos for the humor ? to break the borecycle.   Kind of surprised you don't have a skiers edge device, pretty sure 99.99% of everyone on here owns at least one.   The squiggly turn thing, and don't quote me now, but it might have something to do with, after all the hiking to summit making the descent last more than 10 seconds might be close to what that is all about, unless most people who got yelled at by those European ski instructors that invaded the country way back when and screamed "Bend ze knees and keep ze skis closer," just can't seem to shake it for fear of being disobedient, even after all this time.
shred

« Reply #14 on: 03/08/16, 09:37 AM »

FS. Extremely used Skiers Edge training device.
$450 Skrilla
Also interested in trading for 190cm or longer, pair of skis.
Jim Oker

« Reply #15 on: 03/08/16, 10:04 AM »

boredom is a self inflicted wound....!
An apt observation. I'm afraid I've hurt myself, as I'm finding talking about talking about talking to be, well, you know...

Maybe a thread on best light cameras for downhill action shots, or strategies for getting the goods between atmospheric river events, or whether it would  be practical to organize to get an alternative-to-ski-area high plowed winter parking access up off 542 (and what tactics would be best there) or [fill in the many possible blanks]
Jim Oker

« Reply #16 on: 03/08/16, 10:17 AM »

Or, the question I'm afraid to ask, are they having more fun than me?
I can't answer that one for you, but it's definitely fun!! And more turns per run. I guess it depends on whether you are more into the speed or the floaty feeling of transitioning from turn-to-turn?
skykilo

« Reply #17 on: 03/08/16, 10:58 AM »

Bigger turns come with bigger acceleration and more extreme floaty factors.

I can't log into TGR any more for whatever reason.  Even submitted a message through some form on the site and never heard from anybody about it.  So oh well....
OregonDead

« Reply #18 on: 03/08/16, 03:33 PM »

It was not boring at Mt. Hood yesterday.  Had enough snow to even call it a pow day.  Today I am back at my desk which is boring indeed.  TAY makes my break a little less boring.
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #19 on: 03/08/16, 08:39 PM »

Should I let go of my powder skiing turn radius snobbery?  I used to scoff at people who make 30 tiny feet right together hip swiveling turns on a run I might ski in 5 turns.  Maybe these folks are tuned in to something I can't perceive?  Are they ex mono skiers or do they spend ours on their skiers edge at-home training device?  Or, the question I'm afraid to ask, are they having more fun than me?

Yeah, they might be having more fun.

Long swoopy turns are fun. Short rhythmic turns are also fun.

I like rhythmic turns with a feeling of rebound. The kind where the skis do virtually all the work and you just bound from edge to edge almost effortlessly.

Why is this so fun? Here's one idea:

Have you ever made a crystal glass sing? You know how you can rub your fingertip around the rim of a glass and after a while it starts to hum in resonance? That's what rhythmic turns are about for me.

When you get a rhythm going, it's not just one turn after another. It's a continuous thing.  It's like dancing.  You click into a higher state of being.

You're not thinking, well, that was a nice left turn, now let's go for a right turn. It's more like, I'm TUUUUURRRRRNNNNIIIING. I want to keep TUUUUURRRRRNNNNIIIING! This is awesome!

So, a series of well linked turns isn't like a counting exercise. It's more like an ecstatic state where the individual turns aren't the thing, the flow of linking them dynamically is. And it goes on like that until you stop.
« Last Edit: 03/09/16, 09:37 AM by Lowell_Skoog » Logged
MattT

« Reply #20 on: 03/08/16, 09:22 PM »

When you get a rhythm going, it's not just one turn after another. It's a continuous thing.  It's like dancing.  You click into a higher state of being.

This...and then pair that with good ski partners and you're not dancing alone, but swooping back and forth and dancing with each other! It's a full on hoe down!
gravyb
5Member

« Reply #21 on: 03/09/16, 09:59 AM »

Great post Lowell!  That's the kind of talk that inspires a skier to drive up to the snow.  It's worth remembering how great a recipe gravity, snow and ski or snowboard gear really is.
natefred

« Reply #22 on: 03/09/16, 10:42 AM »

That there is a better or best way to make turns is kind of an east coast PSIA mentality, rooted in the unconscious, born of a deep psychological frustration caused by insufficient snow and terrain, which can be a barrier to attaining enlightenment.
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #23 on: 03/09/16, 10:59 AM »

It's worth remembering how great a recipe gravity, snow and ski or snowboard gear really is.

That's for sure.

This discussion inspired me to post a little video on Facebook:

Feel the crystal glass sing
OregonDead

« Reply #24 on: 03/09/16, 01:30 PM »

That's for sure.

This discussion inspired me to post a little video on Facebook:

Feel the crystal glass sing

Hell yeah man! 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.