Alpental this side of SnakeDance

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Mar 2016 16:12 #226363 by flowing alpy
Alpental this side of SnakeDance was created by flowing alpy
Soft n Fun Nash to Lower, ski on ski off with great parking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
06 Mar 2016 09:22 #226365 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Alpental this side of SnakeDance
Very nice to have our own private ski area on a Saturday with sun and pretty fast spring conditions on anything that was either groomed or fairly well skied already. Though by showing up at almost noon we did have to walk nearly 30 years across lot 4 from our patch of high-and-dry parking ground to get to where we could put skis on.
Having full sun for the better part of the afternoon before the next trough moved in was a happy surprise bonus!

As we got ready we watched folks skinning away from the upper lot, into the warm afternoon and hoped they'd avoid loose wet slides up the valley. There also appeared to be a fresh uptrack on the lower phantom. I love touring but yesterday just seemed like a much better day to be on the lifts or at least away from big slide paths...

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
06 Mar 2016 15:31 #226366 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: Alpental this side of SnakeDance

I love touring but yesterday just seemed like a much better day to be on the lifts or at least away from big slide paths...

If you saw what happened last night on the lower mountain cat track you might be consider avoiding both. However, it was after a lot of rain and a TON of wind.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Mar 2016 08:56 #226371 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Alpental this side of SnakeDance
Well, yeah, I've seen the debris across the cat track more than once in the past. And there was that debris field on the edge of Upper-I on Saturday. But of course I've also seen the cat track closed on days when the cliffs above were actively dropping snow. I didn't feel very much at risk on the groomed or heavily skied terrain on Saturday, but touring up or across a side path with a more wild snowpack just didn't strike me as the best move possible for the day.