Home > Trip Reports > March 3, 2016, Vail Pass

March 3, 2016, Vail Pass

3/3/16
Posted by David_Britton on 3/3/16 12:21pm
Pulled into Vail Pass at about 8:30 AM en route from Loveland to Aspen. These Colorado people seem to have a nice habit of dedicating the one side of a highway to sleds and the other to human powered.

There was a sunny parking area, and given that the day fee was only $6, I uncharacteristically filled out the forms and went legal. The terrain looked moderate with a brief skin in the trees at 10,400 with multiple moderate angle objectives. I passed a couple of splitters and headed up a windswept knoll that look safe if a bit unpleasant on the up. Sastrugi central it was.

I came upon a solo spliter and paired up until we gained a ridge at about 11,800 and followed that on up to 12,000 where there was a large open bowl facing SE. We took that down to a very pleasant gladed araea, regained the track, and headed back to the parking. Snow on the down was wind packed pow, and/or 2-3" of settled pow on a hard base.

Got back to to the truck, and a forest service ranger rapidly demanded proof of payment. I showed him that, and he said, I see your camper is popped, did you spend the night....what time did you get here. I said abt 8:30, 9:00 AM. He said, "you know, you can not camp here" I said what is camping? He said no overnight parking. I said fine, I will be pulling out in a bit after I set my lawn chairs and drink a Rainier. He said fine.

Then the dude comes back with his Android cell with a grainy webcam grab at 6:30 AM and says, "sorry to call you on this, but I see your camper was here at 6:30 AM"; I said, that was someone else's rig. I was asleep in my pals condo at that hour. I eventually wore him down. Lesson learned, Vail pass and the entire I70 corridor is DIRTBAG HOSTILE. On to Taos....
That sucks...however the condo was probably pretty nice.

In a lift line at the Aspen Highlands, I had a rich, pompous old lady tell me that "Those are the loudest most obnoxious skis I have ever seen here at the Highlands", I retorted with a thank you? and a big smile.  :D
That area is Definitely Not dirtbag friendly... Have fun in Taos!

i really don't know how you stayed so calm and collected.  gunna remember that condo thing. 

That's what you get for skiing near the 1% ers. If only us backcountry skiers weren't such Trump-losers...

You think the "Ranger" was hostile to you?  That's actually pretty nice for them that they didn't call the sheriff.  Try not paying the $6 and see how nice he is after that.  Vail pass still makes me mad.  They want you to pay $6 per person to access public land with no trails.  All the sno-machine trails are on the other side of the freeway.  And the parking lot is maintained and plowed by CDOT, as there is a rest area right there.  Its a cash cow for the NF, as they don't have to report to the public how that money is spent.  I've argued with the "rangers" there quite a bit.  I put it in quotes because usually the guys there are usually junior rangers that are doing their time to get upgraded to real ranger status, and then not have to patrol a crummy parking lot.

Front range and I-70 is tricky.  Lots of people and rules.  Not so different from the Pugetopolis side of WaWa really.

Northern New Mexico has a totally different vibe.  Welcome.  Go for a tour above Williams lake, ski to the Bavarian, then have a litre of good beer in the sun on the deck at 10,000 ft.  Welcome.

Reply to this TR

march-3-2016-vail-pass
David_Britton
2016-03-03 20:21:36