Home > Trip Reports > December 13-14, 2005, Mt Logan

December 13-14, 2005, Mt Logan

12/13/05
Posted by skykilo on 12/14/05 9:15pm
This week I had yet another nice hike up Fisher Creek, this time with Ross and Dave.

The inversion persists and the air in the valleys of Thunder Creek and Fisher Creek is very cold, with ubiquitous frozen surfaces varying from powder snow to ice along the trail.

Not much snow in the woods above Fisher Creek until about 4500', then aproximately 3' by the lake above 5k.

Ross dutifully gave the 3:45 am wake-up call.  He decided to enjoy 15 hours of sleep between approach and deproach instead of having 'fun' with Dave and me.

At the notch, I saw a glacier that was sporting a lot of blue ice.  It made me really glad to have my whiskey, even if it was Canadian and those wierdos spill it 'whisky'.

Here I am enjoying 'whisky' and views of a cool-looking, blue-ice-afflicted glacier.

Enjoyed ~2500' of skiing on thin powder and funky wind crust down to camp on a nameless glacier, below a huge ice cliff and with awesome views of Ragged Ridge.

See just above the lake.  Note the crazy ice cliff at the bottom of the nameless glacier.

(Note for sensitivity to our brethren from the north: I don't really think Canadians are wierdos.  Except the ones who are.  The 'whisky' variant of whiskey just doesn't appeal to me, though.)
I must have some sort of mental illness.  Despite the length of our trip (approx. 33 miles roundtrip from our highpoint at the saddle), and the soreness in my knee this AM, I'm feeling like I want to go back for more.  ???

These hikes are starting to become a pattern for sure, but good times were had in the N. Cascades ;)

I'm feeling like I want to go back for more.  ???

Wow, you must be becoming hard core or something?

Nice job getting in there, looks like the skiing you had was decent anyway.

Hey Sky, You should consider taking the brakes off your Dynafits. If you replaced them with a Lou Dawson leash system you'd save .58 of a lb per pair. Using the adage that a lb on your feet eqauls 5 on your back, that would allow you to bring over 2.5lbs of more 'whisky'!

Man, that's 33 miles in there! At least you took two days this time. Where the heck was that notch anyhow? To the right of where we came up in May?

It must feel good to have that approach down Sky. What is this, number four? Really, why even bother with peaks. It's the valley that offers the real excitement  ;)

Yeah, 4 for Sky, which would make that 3 attempts for me...

Sounds like you guys go really far for a little bit of fun. Although, getting drunk in the mountains is always fun, for some. I would never travel that far just to have a drink, though. Nice pic of Ragged Ridge. Things look pretty boney up there. Good job...my knees hurt just thinking about your trip.

The point wasn't just to hike our asses in there to drink some whiskey, although that's not such a bad ambition.  Screw carrying the skis and climbing gear all the way in there, think of how much tequila and whiskey we could pack in if we left all that worthless stuff at home.

Although what I'm into now is hiking into remote locations, then sleeping all day and then hiking back out.
;)

I think the time I went up there with Sky and Dave there wasn't much more going on than midnight river fords, pantless devil's club schwacking, and curling up on the ground to get snowed on and wait for dawn.  

Cyril,

Remember the good times baby!  Right after a beautiful night of sleeping in the fetal position on a trail in the middle of a barrage of wet snowfall, we got to ski awesome pow at WaPass like so: click and clickety-click.

That notch looks familiar.  A friend and I slogged in there one summer maybe 3 years ago.  Always wondered if that was the "correct" way, since it didn't seem to get much traffic.  Saw goat tracks in the snow by the notch but not much other sign of traffic.  We stopped there, whole thing was a bit more than we anticipated :)
Sweet.  

Reply to this TR

december-13-14-2005-mt-logan
skykilo
2005-12-15 05:15:13