Home > Trip Reports > February 27, 2016, - Cannon Couloir

February 27, 2016, - Cannon Couloir

2/27/16
Posted by dbkiker on 2/28/16 12:31pm
we too trusted the nwac forcast for saturday and were rewarded with favorable weather. snow was really good on northwest aspects above 6500 ft. Snow in the col had its moments as well. a lot of wet movement on east facing slopes below 6400 ft.

good coverage all the way around. that being said "more snow please!"

http://thepeakoftheweek.com/2016/02/cannon-couloir/

Well done!  It takes a surprising amount of effort to get that line. Seems so close when viewed from the campground.

author=Good2Go link=topic=35899.msg146714#msg146714 date=1456772523]
It takes a surprising amount of effort to get that line.

a little bit of effort to get out of it too! we had a ripping traverse to get back over to the other side of the ridge

The Rat Creek approach has always seemed easier for me to access this couloir.  Plus it gives you a chance to play around on the slopes above Coney Lake.

It's the sad story of a lot of East side shots:  Mucho approach for poco descent. 

My god John, are you actually encouraging a rat creek approach?! I've never heard that before. If you ever publish a guide book, which you should, I'll make sure to not buy it :-).

Best approach is via Aasgard and Prussik Pass. A little more vert but not much more effort and way better rewards. 

on the contrary, i didn't find the standard route up from eightmile creek to be particularly unpleasant. we got a bit off track with a premature creek crossing that added an extra 40 min or so of quality bushwhacking, but once back on track it seemed pretty straight forward.

that being said, I love to hear the variations on this. from the top i think i saw 3 or 4 lines i would add to the todo list. funny how that always happens ::)

So long as you have fun, that's all that matters. Nice job

I could be persuaded to go up through the terrain in Rat Creek again, the exciting thrash up the initial bump beats that eternal road. I hate that road, almost as much as the Stuart Lake trail aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Above the bump, it's a peachy tour, past some radical ice features rarely climbed by the local wildlife!

Jake nailed it.  You pull the bandaid off quickly by going up Rat Creek.  And you get to do fun things up there. Photos by Jake:

Threadjack....I apologise.
But who wouldn't;t want to go here....
Coney Lake chutes

...and a mere 1/2 day away over past the Dragon's teeth hotel, the N side of Temple Ridge
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nice pics J&J. sign me up!

and  thank you for the report dbkiker

Reply to this TR

february-27-2016-cannon-couloir
dbkiker
2016-02-28 20:31:37