Home > Trip Reports > Feb 24, 2016, Muir + Wind Slab Release Observed

Feb 24, 2016, Muir + Wind Slab Release Observed

2/24/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by lukehumphrey on 2/25/16 4:34pm
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1147187
We had a slab break in that exact same spot last year.

As for the ticket, I had a female ranger give me the 3rd degree for doing 40mph in a 35mph zone, calling for 2 backup vehicles and interrogating me for 45 mins.  My asking pointed questions about the situation didn't help, im guessing.  Was a real tough one to fight in court, as you have to be at your appointed date, in person.  Really frustrating situation...i feel your pain.  Guess they have nothing better to do than being a dick.

Man, that sucks. So you can't contest it via mail? Where did you have to physically go to fight it? I'm hoping I don't have to drive out to Ashford. I actually have a lawyer I'll use for this but I doubt he'll drive out that far.

Federal Courthouse in Tacoma.  They quickly cut the ticket in half and charged me a minor court fee but still...ended up being about $65 and a half day away from work.  Look up fighting federal tickets online....tons of horror stories.  They kinda got ya by the short n curlys.

and here I thought PR was going a bit better at the Park.  Ranger needs some education that her primary job is not in fact law enforcement - it's public service. 

she should be buying you chains and installing them herself before wasting time on tickets. 

Shit dude, that's a bad way to end the day. I guess you're one of the first to be fined for that ....

Take them to court.
Explain the circumstances.
Explain how you saved them money by doing a self rescue.
If you called for rangers to come rescue you would you have been issued a ticket too?
Absolutely ridiculous.
Just be very nice and don't go off on the danger ranger treating you like were a member of ISIS.
Good luck

Like they own the place. We are just trespassers, and a revenue source.

It's not a moving violation and it's federal, so none of the usual tricks will work.  If you contest it and show up in person, they will probably reduce it, but you'll still pay a portion, because you have no viable defense (you were admittedly late, right?). Not saying it's a good policy, but rules is rules.  They've been real D I C K S about this for the last few years, so I'm surprised it's getting so much attention on this thread. 

Stick it to the MAN!!

Burn the ticket and live the rest of your life on the lamb.
If the Prick Rangers can get away with doing this to you then they might think that they can do it to ME!

If I ever become a "rules are rules" person vs. someone who uses common sense based on circumstance, someone please kill me.
If I ever take a taxpayer-funded job and am a dick to visitors who pay my salary and patronize the very place that makes my employment a reality, also please murder me immediately.

author=savegondor link=topic=35877.msg146625#msg146625 date=1456524577]
and here I thought PR was going a bit better at the Park.  Ranger needs some education that her primary job is not in fact law enforcement - it's public service. 

Overall, I've thought MRNP this year was communicating better and several staff have gone out of their way to be helpful.  There have still been many late openings, but also quite a few big snowfalls.  My impression is that most downhill late-gaters have just had to walk to the desk clerk at the Longmire Inn.  I doubt a LE ranger would decide on their own to conduct an 'emphasis patrol' at the Longmire gate at quitting time; sounds more like something a supervisor might need/want to approve? 

Still, $125 would really bust my budget if equipment failure or injury caused me to be late.  I suspect the prospect of a fine cramps many people's style & hastens their turnaround time, so our experience is diminished even if we don't get stopped.    The OP is right to be outraged and nemolonsdale nailed it:  "Like they own the place. We are just trespassers, and a revenue source."

The top-heavy NP$ management can be incredibly smug and self-righteous. It really is much like a cult, repeating their mantra:  'We're so underfunded'... but with half their annual appropriation never making it past the development-mad Regional Offices and no actual accountability at the top. The view from inside their bubble is so distorted some seem to have forgotten they are a glorified janitor & security-guard service we have hired and are that they are far from indispensable.  The many insider comments prompted by this recent story give me some hope that change may be brewing in the ranks, at least, if not in DC:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/02/oig-national-park-service-director-skirted-ethics-office-writing-book-reprimanded

It's already light well past six and another hour will be added in a few weeks.  The road today was mostly bare & wet despite a foot of new snow overnight.  It might salvage their image a bit if the park got real and expanded the gate hours to at least 8am-6pm ASAP.   Perhaps future 'deadbeats' could have the option of volunteering some circus weekend instead of being fined?

Reply to this TR

feb-24-2016-muir-wind-slab-release-observed
lukehumphrey
2016-02-26 00:34:10