Home > Trip Reports > February 20, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

February 20, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

2/20/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 2/20/16 10:21am
We skinned and skied a variety of aspects between 3100-5400'.  There was 10-15" cascade style consistent fresh snow in both timbered and open slopes except for a few wind blown icy spots above 5000'. After noon the sun made SW slopes ski heavier. Nice apres ski happy hour with friends, and dinner at the Aardvark. Thanks Ma (nature) for bringing the fresh snow back home.
Anyone else get buzzed by some F-16s? One came up valley close enough to shake the tree tops. It burned like mad to grt up and over the head of the valley. Nuts.

I think we must have observed the same jets flying over at Stevens. Nothing crazy like you're talking about though.

I saw/heard three jets come through when I was on Mt Catherine but they were too far away for me to ID the type. In the past decades the planes have been electronic warfare jets from Whidbey. The biggest plane I've seen was from Jim Hill Mt summit when a B-52 flew by under the ridges west bound near Stevens Pass. It was quite startling to see a plane that big flying that low.

same 3 jets went directly over our heads at sparkplug lake just afternoon. coming from the south. the blast fairly low(between 5-10,000')down surprise creek, then up marten creek towards the back side of heather ridge.. they typically then go over to rainy pass, and down to lake Wenatchee via smithbrook. ive witnessed them do this route on multiple occasions. kind of impressive.

they seem to have a knack for coming out of nowhere when you have avalanche concerns.

Carpooled with some Boeing folks today... F-18s from what u described to them. Crazy loud when they throw after burners at you!? #backtosnowtalk

Reply to this TR

february-20-2016-snoqualmie-pass
silaswild
2016-02-20 18:21:26