Home > Trip Reports > February 13, 2016, Red Mountain (Snoqualmie)

February 13, 2016, Red Mountain (Snoqualmie)

2/13/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by johndonee on 2/14/16 3:52am
Sometimes a wonky forecast turns out great! This was certainly the case yesterday.
With the recent high freezing levels and rain that resulted in a consolidated and stable snowpack and moderate amounts of new snow and moderate winds foretasted for Satruday I pushed to go tick Red Mountain off the objectives list.
We were fully prepared to get rained on for at least some of the day and finish soaking wet but it never happened.
3" on the ground when we started up the Commonwealth Basin and snowing lightly.
Closer to 6" at the base of Red.
Snow and low clouds rolled in and out for the duration of the climb and winds were around 20+ at the top with gusts pushing 40+.
We found the new storm snow was bonding very well to the heavily saturated upper snow pack all the way above the treeline.
Not much wind transport below ~5000'.
Wind and isolated cross loaded features on the upper mountain with icy slopes near the summit.
New afternoon snow was sluffing around 5400' and above and on steeper slopes would entrain and carry downslope.
No avalanche signs otherwise.
The skiing was excellent! Snow was light and playful up top and light enough to enjoy all the way down to the basin.
Excellent. We were also very happy to find very similar conditions in the Crystal backcountry yesterday.

Whenever I see reports of, "40 mph" gusts of wind, with 20 mph sustained wind, I'm a little skeptical, especially recalling Amar's post a few years back about wind gust exaggeration.  I wish I could find that...

Reply to this TR

february-13-2016-red-mountain-snoqualmie
johndonee
2016-02-14 11:52:57