Home > Forum > Toddler Ski Recommendation?

Toddler Ski Recommendation?

• Erik Henne
  • [erikhenne]
More
11 Feb 2016 15:31 #226081 by Erik Henne
Toddler Ski Recommendation? was created by Erik Henne
I've got twin infant girls and am planning how I will introduce them to skiing. I figure the first season will not be much more than "stand-up" sledding. But hopefully as they get stronger we can work on adding some control for the second season.

My question is around gear and what other folks would recommend. Most "kid" skis I'm finding seem much too long for toddlers. The Lucky Bums toy skis (compatible with snow boots) seems like a decent option, but I imagine learning turns would be more difficult with these skis and standard rigid ski boots (even if they don't fit right) would be helpful to a child who has just learned to walk.

What equipment have others had success with?
How well do boots need to fit at a young age?
Any recommendations for helmets?
Any other suggestions for successful introduction to skiing at a young age?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
11 Feb 2016 16:17 #226084 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
I'd say that stand-up sledding is probably not a realistic plan. I would have been happy with my 3 year old just taking a few steps on the snow, instead of just standing there crying. We had some kind of lucky bum thing which were quite useful for walking around the living room, and my daughter did have fun with that and was a sufficient intro to skiing. At 4, I bought her some actual skis and boots. And she had a good time on the snow at that age.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Feb 2016 16:27 #226085 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
Have some patience, they gotta walk before they can ski.

• ski_photomatt
  • [ski_photomatt]
More
11 Feb 2016 17:02 #226088 by ski_photomatt
Replied by ski_photomatt on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
My son is just about two and we've had fun with these:

www.rei.com/product/890104/komperdell-ro...=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

He's had fun walking around the house with them and we've taken him out to flat areas and pushed him around while wearing them.  We haven't taken him to one of the "magic carpets" yet but plan to before the end of winter if we can find a sufficiently warm and sunny day.  I imagine that at best this would involve snowplowing very slowly with him between our legs.

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
11 Feb 2016 20:40 #225994 by wickstad
Replied by wickstad on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
I got the lucky bums and Elisa got some pretty sweet double boots from the thrift store. The boots have been way more beneficial in any sort of progression that Todd has made recently. He just recently slid on the lucky bums instead of slipping out and landing on his rear end. I don't think that I'll have a decent review on the lucky bums until after next season. Our motto is that if he is having fun....

• MurphyTheDog
  • [MurphyTheDog]
More
12 Feb 2016 10:06 #226098 by MurphyTheDog
Replied by MurphyTheDog on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
We have been bringing my 2.5 year old out to Summit West to "ski" the greens.

Found some 80cm skis on craigslist which work great for her. The boots are too big but leaves room for socks that dont fit right without giving her foot pain and ruining our whole day. And since she isn't making turns as much as just a balance and the occasional pizza pie she doesnt need much more.

Picked up the Lucky Bum backpack with leashes which have worked really well. Need the leashes to stop her on the slope and the backpack is great for loading her on and off the chair as I can pick her up by the handle and ski on/off the chair with my little sack of potatoes.

More
12 Feb 2016 11:35 #226099 by weezer
Replied by weezer on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
The lift up handle on the lucky bums harness is really helpful. Toddler ski season
should be starting up in a few weeks. We started with little snow walks and felt successful
if we made 100yrds(mini skis and mini cables). Laps on the magic carpet were always fun.(almost free gear) It helps to avoid the busy times, Its crazy but sometimes the magic carpet is really busy
Some of our kids are kamikazes, and others are more into just looking around and snacking

• chrism
  • [chrismeder]
More
12 Feb 2016 11:57 #226100 by chrism
Replied by chrism on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
We have the Komperdell plastic skis as well, but haven't yet put our 1.5 year-old in them. She has plenty of fun carrying the ski poles that come with the set around the house. When we take her to the hill, its so far just been with the goal of getting used to the bulky clothing and making sure she has fun playing in the snow with us. Eating snowballs, running around, and sliding just on her pants with us pulling her has produced plenty of happy giggles. That's the goal for now - I feel like they just have to enjoy being outside in the snow and cold first, and then they'll be psyched on sliding on the skis as an addition to that.

That said, I understand and feel the sense of urgency to get them skiing. Realizing that urgency is solely created by me was helpful. She's only a year and a half, and she's already playing in the snow and having fun. I call that success so far.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
12 Feb 2016 12:12 #226101 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?

When we take her to the hill, its so far just been with the goal of getting used to the bulky clothing and making sure she has fun playing in the snow with us.  Eating snowballs, running around, and sliding just on her pants with us pulling her has produced plenty of happy giggles.  That's the goal for now - I feel like they just have to enjoy being outside in the snow and cold first, and then they'll be psyched on sliding on the skis as an addition to that.

That said, I understand and feel the sense of urgency to get them skiing.  Realizing that urgency is solely created by me was helpful.  She's only a year and a half, and she's already playing in the snow and having fun.  I call that success so far.

This sounds very wise. Starting out with specific goals like "getting my toddler skiing" can be a big mistake, since a significant number of little kids will respond to your urgency by resisting for all they're worth. If you've been chomping at the bit for several years, e.g., since infancy, conception, or concept, you're really loading the odds.

Instead, you want them hooked on the fun of being outdoors in the snow first and foremost. That accomplished, you can start to offer possibilities for building specific skills, including skiing. If the situation is not already fraught with parental expectations and plans, your kids will automatically want to do whatever they see you doing.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Feb 2016 21:00 #226050 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
Rent don't buy.

More
12 Feb 2016 23:10 #226103 by blitz
Replied by blitz on topic Re: Toddler Ski Recommendation?
Little kids don't need good boot fit like you and I do (like 98 pound Japanese ladies, climbing mountains in high-healed shoes). Renting is a good idea unless you are going every weekend. However we bought gear and it lasted a long time because we bought it big

Our older kid learned skiing in the day care at the ski slope. Peer pressure is amazing in that age group - no crying or fussing - they went out twice a day with the day care instructors. Our second kid learned skiing following the older brother around. Again, peer pressure goes a long way, parents just cant do that...