Home > Forum > Crystal - 2/8

Crystal - 2/8

• CD
  • [CD]
More
08 Feb 2016 16:14 #226052 by CD
Crystal - 2/8 was created by CD
Day started very warm from the beginning. We quickly discovered anything ungroomed in the sun was unconsolidated glop needing more skier grooming and a couple more freeze/thaw cycles to get some corn started. One run down the front side was a no-repeat. Bear Pits was difficult, but the far right side of Lucky Shot trees in the shade skied very nice...until the bottom quarter where the snow stopped you in your tracks and you had to push out to the trail through the woods. The big winner of the day was Green Valley and Iceberg. Even though Iceberg was in the sun and quite soft, it had been groomed before it froze over night, so stayed nicely consolidated in spite of the sun softening. Powder Bowl also skied good. Based on Powder Bowl and GV, we headed to Northway. Paradise Bowl was frozen. The best part of the run were the bumps under the chair at the bottom. In fact, that was maybe the best snow on the mountain. Just the right amount of shade and warm temperature softening. We also had fun with some top to bottom runs down lower Bull. Due to the inversion, it was cooler at the bottom, so got some air conditioning.

Views were big, weather was warm, firs were fragrant, and crowds were Monday-lite. A great day in the sun on my favorite mountain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
08 Feb 2016 18:16 #226053 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Crystal - 2/8
My coat and warm gloves shoulda been left in the car - not required today. The weekend crowd must not have ventured off the groomers, as the off-piste looked just like we left it last week, except the pow was now turned to deep mank. Skied-out bumps, or groomers that soon turned to bumps, were awesome. Riding the shade/sun line, with ice to the right and sunny glop to the left worked well for PowderBowl and Paradise Bowl Left. The flats got sticky fast. A great day of bump skiing on the consolidated aspects - the rest needs a couple more freeze/thaw cycles. They ran the Gondy and C-3 at slow-speed economy level today due to lack of participation.

Big fast bump day, only 4 people on Northway, Bear Pits, Powder Bowl, and I assume, there was soup in the lodge.

Ken
+

More
08 Feb 2016 22:13 #226054 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal - 2/8

.... and I assume, there was soup in the lodge.

Ken
+

Yee Haa...Thanks for the usual soup report ;)...and definitly not wasting any time inside a building between 9 and 4 ! You know sometimes they really dont have soup? ???... I be very Big glad about the Big day! Couple more big days to come...lookin foward to more no soup reports ;D

More
09 Feb 2016 12:29 #226060 by RB2
Replied by RB2 on topic Re: Crystal - 2/8
My waf#1 and I skied from noon to close on rex and gondi and were happy with most everything including breakover, sunnyside, and gondi line which skied well with big soul7 crud skis. Waf preferred iceberg. Agree with others that most of frontside was seemingly untracked from the weekend. Looks like today is a repeat but with more wind. Calm up top monday.
RB