Home > Trip Reports > December 10, 2005, Van Trump Park

December 10, 2005, Van Trump Park

12/10/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by scotteryx on 12/11/05 10:04am
Inversion in full affect
Very warm @ trailhead and gloppy mashed potatoes on the way up. Everyones skins got gloppy and sticky, especially Sergio; who lost a skin after serving it's full tour of duty, luckily, a crampon sufficed in the conditions.

Made it up to about 7k or so?? around 230pm and headed down. Decent turns up top, then it got gloopy and fast slow fast slow <crash> for me. The boarders seemed to do okay. As the shade started to affect some of the slopes with the sun setting, it seemed like we were racing away from the crust.

Down throught the trees was a fight for me and my new crossbows. Stiff boards.

JerSan seemed to have fun

Back at the car at 4pm.

Photo Gallery:
http://questalb.com/gallery/vtc121005.asp
We saw the turns on your upper line while driving to Paradise.  It looked sweet.

Nice job!

I'll just shoulder hop and add on...

So besides what was already said, our crew consisted of Rob, Sergio, Scott, Jerry, Andy and myself.  We started skinning from the trailhead by Christine Falls around 9:20.  Skinning could best be described as hip rippers.  The snow surface in the trees provided some relief while on open slopes, everyone sported snow shackles.  The traverse into Comet Falls was interesting.  Somebody in our group cut a good track along the steep slope above the river, however a snowshoe'er did his best to wallow and destroy it.  At times I thought his wallowing would trigger a wet slide into an even colder, wet river.  Boy was I glad to pass him soon.

Once at Comet Falls we were greeted by supersonic booms from car to mini camper size blocks of snow falling from the falls.  The last one shook the valley we were in.  Excitement like this wouldn't come again until the descent.  So we continued to skin until we arrived at the park.  Views were stunning.  Tons of gnarly chutes, gullies, open fields to carve but still a bit boney down low.  We stuck to a ridgeline that knobbed out before climbing again around 7k.  Noticed pinwheel littered slopes on terrain steeper than 30 degrees and near cliffbands regardless of aspect.  Also noticed some seriously wind etched terrain across the valley (from Cushman Crest) that resembled a migration of worms just under the surface.  Real McEscher like.

The descent.  It started out on sun baked goodness that was smooth for at least 1k.  In the shaded areas there was a slight crust with week old powder underneath.  The glades proved entertaining.  I couldn't resist but I witnessed a new wrecking technique.  This individual was able to pearl over his tips but with a stall, making it look like it was in slow motion and it was meant to be done.  While stalling he demonstrated the superman to jesus christ pose before finding the whiteroom. ;D  Man I hope someone got that on video.  Anyway by the time all of us entered the thicks of the trees it was soupy.  The skin track came in handy a few times on the way out.  Also noticed a few new slides but it stopped short of our track.  The steep tree'd section near the falls was exciting.  Everyone kinda picked there way down.  I was able to get the snow to slide from the ground in areas greater than 30 degrees.  In others there was just a snowball that grew to a couple feet in diameter.  Well after a some short carries, pole assistance and slalom course everyone found themselves back at the car and before dark.

btw Scott those pictures named Eric were really Rob.

Reply to this TR

december-10-2005-van-trump-park
scotteryx
2005-12-11 18:04:02