Home > Forum > Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!

Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!

• Donnelly_M
  • [Donnelly_M]
More
05 Feb 2016 12:33 - 05 Feb 2016 12:54 #226019 by Donnelly_M
Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift! was created by Donnelly_M
I'm surprised this is not more of a common occurrence given the increasing amount of rage and stress in today's lifestyle.  Has anyone ever had or heard of any one being tossed from the chairlift by another person.  I first saw this post on TGR and wasn't sure if it was real as that site seems to be infested with trolls.   

Here is the article and it seems like this was an intentional act.  One more good reason to question who you may be riding up the lift with! ???

www.aspentimes.com/news/20489902-113/det...s-chairlift-incident

The comments on this second article are making me question; is there still bad blood between skiers and snowboarders? What is this world coming to?
www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/19/aspen-skie...r-off-chairlift.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Feb 2016 13:57 #226021 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
Until recently Aspen was one of the few remaining lift-served areas in the USA that didn't permit snowboarding equipment.

So there may still be some grumpiness, but that is no fricking excuse for assault -- even if the one-planker was making snarky comments.

More
05 Feb 2016 19:29 #226028 by TonyM
Replied by TonyM on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
Struggling with this one. Conflicted. Could see his point of view maybe.

One wonders if earlier in the day, the skier witnessed the boarder scraping off all that 6 inches of pow as he side-slipped down a narrow area that was too steep for boarders to safely navigate. Its possible he then he exacted a sweet revenge we've all contemplated. The kind that plays out over and over in your head as you ride the lift up looking down at them.

Not enough info to make the call though ;)

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
05 Feb 2016 21:20 #226031 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
OLD NEWS...

... Both were idiots...

• powhound
  • [powhound]
More
06 Feb 2016 12:59 #226034 by powhound
Replied by powhound on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!

Struggling with this one.  Conflicted.  Could see his point of view maybe. 

One wonders if earlier in the day, the skier witnessed the boarder scraping off all that 6 inches of pow as he side-slipped down a narrow area that was too steep for boarders to safely navigate.  Its possible he then he exacted a sweet revenge we've all contemplated.  The kind that plays out over and over in your head as you ride the lift up looking down at them.

I'll bite on this one.

There is no narrow area that is too steep for a snow boarder to navigate down safely, and the sweet revenge we've all contemplated? Go back to alta (or crystal) ski nazi

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
06 Feb 2016 13:25 #226035 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
Thanks powhound. I was going to go less blunt but you said it. As a skier, I'll say - "we've all contemplated"? What?!
I presume you're embellishing.
Because man, if you take that us vs. them attitude, which is fundamentally why the world is so fucked up, up to the mountain with you, then you are the problem. Poking fun re: tele vs. AT vs. split or ski vs. board is just fun when we are self deprecating; but joking about assault is just hating in the mountains.

More
07 Feb 2016 20:35 - 10 Feb 2016 21:01 #226042 by TonyM

I can only speculate, Somebody must be a *TEXAN*

Too funny.... it was a joke post! 

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
08 Feb 2016 08:59 - 08 Feb 2016 09:09 #226045 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
While I haven't contemplated this action I have yelled at 'boarders from the lift - several of them in line like the snowplows on I90, side-slipping a steep slope they didn't have the skills to negotiate - "Make a turn already!"

Then again, I've had boarders yell at me from the lift while on my tele boards - "Hey, you need one of these!"

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
08 Feb 2016 10:26 #226047 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
<== Texan

More
10 Feb 2016 20:55 - 10 Feb 2016 21:04 #226076 by TonyM
haha...  good chance the flyer was ...   They flock like salmon to Aspen. Makes sense now.  Thx for pointing that out.
Attachments:

More
13 Feb 2016 18:25 #225957 by jj
And so it ends...

www.aspentimes.com/news/20603838-113/asp...-identified-arrested

“To get tits deep pow shots you just need to be on your edges,” Beckton quoted himself as saying in a Facebook post.

According to Beckton, the male then said to him, ‘Well is this funny?’ and then grabbed him and pulled/pushed him off the chairlift,” a police report states.

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
14 Feb 2016 09:01 #226108 by Splitter
Replied by Splitter on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!

Struggling with this one.  Conflicted.  Could see his point of view maybe. 

One wonders if earlier in the day, the skier witnessed the boarder scraping off all that 6 inches of pow as he side-slipped down a narrow area that was too steep for boarders to safely navigate.  Its possible he then he exacted a sweet revenge we've all contemplated.  The kind that plays out over and over in your head as you ride the lift up looking down at them.

Baffled by this post, and saddened that this attitude shows up on TAY

While riding in-bounds one day I was making passes to a small but not easily accessible cliff jump. On my third time around two skiers had followed my track and while one had scraped all of the snow off of the only rollover, the other was stuck on top wondering how to get down. I pointed out a narrow chute that opened up in 15 feet as I aired the rock, but when I came around again the skier had side slipped the chute taking all the snow while scraping his tails and tips on rocks/trees.

I was amused that it was a skier side slipping but I don't take his choice to say anything about "Skiers", and it certainly does not justify thoughts of inflicting bodily injury.

I think the Aspen incident was not about skier/boarder conflict but was instead about mental imbalance leading to violence. I hope you have had second thoughts about condoning the offenders actions. (and especially the admission that you might share similar inclinations.)

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Feb 2016 10:42 #226109 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
He subsequently noted that it was a joke post. Not a very good joke and that kind of humor rarely comes across clearly on the intewebz except in the hand of particularly skilled humorists IMO, but I took him at his word.

• Splitter
  • [Splitter]
More
15 Feb 2016 20:57 #226111 by Splitter
Replied by Splitter on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it since his post was in response to something from Weezer that must have been deleted.

More
16 Feb 2016 06:59 #226126 by weezer
Replied by weezer on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
My post was in very bad taste, I try to not benefit from others pain. So delete

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
19 Feb 2016 09:14 #226147 by Chamois
Christmas. Doesn't anyone get sarcastic humor anymore?

• ski2fly
  • [ski2fly]
More
25 Feb 2016 00:46 #226242 by ski2fly
Replied by ski2fly on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
So speaking of getting thrown from the chair...
Ok, so now that I have your attention :) this isn't so dramatic but falls into the sorta surreal ski lift experience. I leave work early and  hustle up to Alpy to get some soft corn runs on CH2 in the sunshine before closing.  So I ski up to the lift (ch2) after a run, ski patrol standing to the side, and a guy just about to get on the chair. So we double up, as the chair swings back a bit he does some weird thing, leans forward, catches his ski and it pops off and he falls off the chair before it ever gets off the ground. By that time the chair is raising up to my mid-back and I am no longer on the seat.  Multiple calculations quickly go through my head, and not wanting to be attempting to re-seat in mid air I abort as the chair was about to lift off. The patroller is looking at me like WTF and I told him "that guy just fell off the chair".  No one else around except for the lifty. So, I circle back, he circles back and we happen to get on the same chair again.  Here is where it gets weird. The exact same thing happens. Not sort of the same thing, it was like an instant replay. Only this time I am privy to the smallest nuances of motion and secure myself as my chair-mate ejects like a depth charge off of PT 109.  Now, tell me that isn't sort of bizarre.  So, no snowboard vs. skier issues, no mental health issues, just weird. Front side of 2 was awesome, International was maybe worst I have ever skied it.  Cheers.

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
25 Feb 2016 07:30 #226245 by Chamois
Too funny. Who knew that the chair could be more dangerous than the icey drop-in at the top!

More
25 Feb 2016 09:16 #226247 by gravyb
Replied by gravyb on topic Re: Intentionally Thrown From a Chairlift!
I noticed the lifties have built up an unnecessary ramp that could easily catch a lazy person's tips about 10 feet past where you sit down. But then again, to go along with the odd way they won't set up an easy alternating channelized lift line, everything must be as quirky as possible with chair 2.