Home > Forum > Lake Louise and Banff

Lake Louise and Banff

• bgombasy
  • [bgombasy]
More
31 Jan 2016 09:26 #225938 by bgombasy
Lake Louise and Banff was created by bgombasy
I am hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of this group. Girlfriend and I are planning a week + trip to ski Lake Louise and Sunshine Village in March. Keeping a couple days available to explore the mountain in and around Banff.

Anyone know of any must do tours or ski objectives while there on our off days from resort skiing?

Thanks in advance!

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2016 06:28 #225950 by ml
Replied by ml on topic Re: Lake Louise and Banff
Check out the guidebooks by Chic Scott for some options.

• Skier of the Hood
  • [Skier of the Hood]
More
02 Feb 2016 19:32 #225978 by Skier of the Hood
Replied by Skier of the Hood on topic Re: Lake Louise and Banff
Recommend going at the end of March or early April if you want to experiance the Rockies in their prime. Chic Scotts book provides a good list of fairly tame tours but is lacking in descriptions of more engaging descents. Wexlers blog provides a lifetime of big rockies descents if your into that sort of thing www.globalalpine.com/ Backcountry YYC provides a good resource on current conditions and ramblings of the Red Plater community www.facebook.com/groups/532259223516611/ You can also look through some of my old TRs for ideas.

If you are looking for something fairly easy to get to and can navigate glaciers the Peyto Hut on the Wapta probably falls under 'must do' if the weather is good. Also don't be afraid to get a guide if you want to make the most of conditions, the rockies can be a tricky beast to the uninitiated.