Home > Trip Reports > January 30, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

January 30, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

1/30/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ski_photomatt on 1/30/16 11:46am
Scratchy in the trees with 3-6" of new snow on the hard rain crust, better in the open with good, fast turns. New snow has a really poor bond to the rain crust and was quite reactive at tree line. Sluffs were running fast. I stayed off anything steep but still easily triggered small slabs in the new snow and on the crust on small rollovers.
author=ski_photomatt link=topic=35612.msg145743#msg145743 date=1454211993]
Scratchy in the trees with 3-6" of new snow on the hard rain crust, better in the open with good, fast turns. New snow has a really poor bond to the rain crust and was quite reactive at tree line. Sluffs were running fast. I stayed off anything steep but still easily triggered small slabs in the new snow and on the crust on small rollovers.

We experienced slightly different stability Matt at Hwy 2.  Maybe it has to do with when the changeover from rain to snow occurred and if there were breaks in the snow accumulation (or rate thereof)  as the temperatures dropped.
Interesting. 
Thanks for the info.

Hard to say what the difference was. Overall conditons were similar to your Stevens report except where I was at tree line there had been just enough wind consolidate the snow so that it cracked and broke off in ski length chunks.  Made me quite nervous of the potential for larger wind slabs.

This was taken in the Snoqualmie area yesterday and was much more than 3-6 inches, and well bonded to the crust too. But then we hit another mountain on the way back (<2 miles away, similar aspect and elevation) and found the conditions you described. So it seems to be quite variable.

Amazing pic.  DSLR?

Beat up old canon s95 point and shoot. It doesn't have much resolution or sharpness to get any bigger. Thanks though! Some of my favorite pictures ever taken have been with this camera, mostly because I bring it much more often than the DSLR and often times it's just about having a reasonably decent tool at the right time.

Really nice snow near Snow Lake today. Quite a few people out but still lots of stashes to be harvested.

author=kamtron link=topic=35612.msg145784#msg145784 date=1454307609]
Quite a few people out

That might be an understatement, I tallied over 100 on Sun going out the trail while lapping the High T access side country. Some bizarre behaviors too- Saturday we encountered a snowershoer climbing up Gunbarrel, saw shoe tracks skiers right of trashcan, and observed shoers climbing up wall street while skiers were descending.

And a Plea to those using the ski trail return to access source lake: Please please please use the lower trail where it diverges at trash can and emerges again below Mushroom, it's more scenic and avoids the 2 way traffic conflicts on a one lane trail.

Reply to this TR

january-30-2016-snoqualmie-pass
ski_photomatt
2016-01-30 19:46:33