Home > Trip Reports > January 29, 2016, Small Avy - Crystal Sidecountry

January 29, 2016, Small Avy - Crystal Sidecountry

1/29/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by lukehumphrey on 1/30/16 11:28am
Had a minor scare today getting caught in an avalanche in the Crystal Mountain sidecountry (Niagras near Northway, Gate 9, first run of the day). Slid a few hundred feet and deployed my airbag after I was unable to board out of a sluff slide which had built momentum, starting to overtake me (depth was getting above my head). Was likely triggered in part from above, combined with my own sluff. The ~9-12" of fresh snow wasn't well bonded with the harder layer underneath. Was with 3 people, 2 were on the side, one above (not caught). Re-packed my bag and boarded the rest of the day. No injuries, just became a little more cautious in controlling sluff and ensuring better separation within the party. Happy the run-out was really benign.
Adding pics where it occurred. one is my GPS tracks, the other is a green line on the map that I believe correlates with the location.

Just sharing info as I'm always curious when stuff like this happens. I think that's an East-ish facing slope, ~5500-5800ft, 10am-ish.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/LukeExtRef/Blog/CrystalAvy/AvySlide.jpg" />
Wow! Glad you're ok. We were probably there right after you guys and skied more to skiers left of the main gut. An airbag and a helmet are increasingly seeming like a good call inbounds on pow days. I lost a ski and narrowly avoided a 200 foot ride in storm sluff under the gondola a few weeks ago.

Glad you're OK! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. cascademystic I share your opinion of the Crystal Southback being the best lift accessed terrain in the PNW! A run later that day in Silver Basin made my week.

Reply to this TR

january-29-2016-small-avy-crystal-sidecountry
lukehumphrey
2016-01-30 19:28:37