Home > Trip Reports > February 7-8, 2005, Sasse Ridge

February 7-8, 2005, Sasse Ridge

2/7/05
Posted by Larry_R on 12/8/05 4:04pm
Unlike last week, an easy ski up to my usual campsite this Wednesday, high overcast but not that cold. Then during the afternoon, the temperature slowly dropped to around 18 deg. Unusual. At dusk it cleared off, and I thought to myself 'I know what this means'. By dinnertime, it was down to nine deg and heading down, but the stars were sure beautiful.

Figured I should pull my little inside outside thermometer inside the sleeping bag for the night so I would know what to expect, along with all the clothes I might need in the morning. Helps to be able to get near fully dressed while inside the bag -- at least if you have Reynaud's (white numb hands and all that).

At five in the morning, it was down to four deg. and I was wondering if I really should go up because there is not that much margin for error, but then it warmed up to six deg, and I figured 'what the heck'. At first light it was still 6 degrees, but by the time I got to the bottom of the frontside (4600') it was up to 9 deg. I thought 'gee if it breaks 10 I'll really be happy'. Once over the ridge top the sun was up, and it still has a bit of warmth.  Turned around at 5500 feet to save my legs for what I knew was going to be exceptional. It was; maybe 8 inches light unconsolidated over a nice base. Got back to the tent just as the sun started to hit it; that was sure welcome, as the temperature was still only 16 deg. there.

Larry

Reply to this TR

february-7-8-2005-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2005-12-09 00:04:44