Home > Forum > Vertfest 2016

Vertfest 2016

• NWAC
  • [Friends of NWAC]
More
15 Jan 2016 09:34 #225736 by NWAC
Vertfest 2016 was created by NWAC
Planning is well underway for Vertfest Alpental 2016 !  We hope you will join the fun on February 13-14.  Improve your skills with a variety of clinics on Saturday, get your race on in the Monika Johnson Memorial Rally on Sunday, or just come on up to demo gear and enjoy the festivities all weekend!

Can't make it on the 13th or 14th?  Check out Vertfest Bachelor on February 6!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jan 2016 14:07 #225753 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
can I register my dog to go with me if i enter the Alpental event?

yo tap, hope the bachy event is a grand success!
ski you later:-)

More
22 Jan 2016 02:34 #225858 by northwesty
Replied by northwesty on topic Re: Vertfest 2016 - need volunteers?
I volunteered at this event when it was still at Crystal, would love to help out at the Aplental party. Let me know if you guys need any help.

• thatoneguydave
  • [thatoneguydave]
More
08 Feb 2016 14:43 #226051 by thatoneguydave
Replied by thatoneguydave on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
Does anyone know if you can register at the race, if not, what is the last day to register?

Thanks,

David

More
09 Feb 2016 08:58 #226058 by JPH
Replied by JPH on topic Re: Vertfest 2016

Does anyone know if you can register at the race, if not, what is the last day to register?

Thanks,

David

I don't know about day of, but I'm pretty sure I registered the night before a couple years ago.

• NWAC
  • [Friends of NWAC]
More
10 Feb 2016 08:48 #226067 by NWAC
Replied by NWAC on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
Yes - you can register for the race the morning of.

Interested in volunteering? Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sorry - no dogs on the course.

See you all this weekend!

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Feb 2016 14:09 #226069 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
I'd volunteer to enforce strict pro-doping rules at piss pass ;D

But in all seriousness, maybe I'll actually do this thing this time around the sun. What sort of wax is recommended for skins to achieve optimal glide on raincorn? Also, as a season passholder, do I actually need to buy a discounted lift ticket on top of the fee for the race? Seems unnecessary.

FA - I believe you and your four-legged friends are welcome to spectate from the north side of draft dodger ridge and/or atop pineapple pass. From what I've heard, unlike certain girlfriends of Peter Line, your dogs don't even require a leash and are allowed to relieve themselves where they please - preferably in the postholes from those who snowshoe or bootpack in the skintrack

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
10 Feb 2016 18:12 #226074 by bfree32
Replied by bfree32 on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
No day ticket needed for passholders. Also the course probably won't go out to piss pass based on the current weather forecast. I'd guess it will turn around at knoll 1 like the last few years.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
11 Feb 2016 17:39 #226090 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
Entrance to Nash will be.... Interesting.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Feb 2016 07:23 #226096 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
These guys are pro's, they'll just poop hop those rocks.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
13 Feb 2016 22:42 #226107 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
Nash entrance was great today, smooth ride. Think light thoughts in the usual spots. After our third trip through today, I didn't need to hesitate.

Ripper down to the end of the Snake Dance traverse, then heavy below. Snake Dance didn't get skied enough Saturday to pack it well.

A safety note: The snow makes a sharp change in character when leaving the packed snow of the Snake Dance traverse. Your knees will thank you if you take three turns to acclimate to the softer/heavier snow before attempting to return to Mach 2.

See y'all tomorrow!

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Feb 2016 17:22 - 14 Feb 2016 17:36 #226113 by Charlie Hagedorn
A big thank-you to the organizers for a really great race. Logistically, it was the best VertFest I've attended.

Rain-wise, it was only the second lap that got crazy-wet. Warm 'till the finish, then shivers kicked in as soon as I hit the lodge and didn't stop 'till dry clothes, soup, and pizza.

If you were wondering how wet it got, here's my boots after the return to Seattle.

I'd like to think Monika would've been proud of all the fast women racing up there today!

How warm was it? This warm:
Attachments:

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
14 Feb 2016 21:11 #226115 by bfree32
Replied by bfree32 on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
The lack of explanation and consistency regarding the rules of booting with skis on pack vs. shoulders was a bit annoying, but otherwise yes a fun weekend and thanks to all of the volunteers (those tents looked like a good idea!). Then I got to go wring water out of my supposedly waterproof shells.

More
15 Feb 2016 10:31 #226117 by Bronco
Replied by Bronco on topic Re: Vertfest 2016

The lack of explanation and consistency regarding the rules of booting with skis on pack vs. shoulders was a bit annoying, but otherwise yes a fun weekend and thanks to all of the volunteers (those tents looked like a good idea!). Then I got to go wring water out of my supposedly waterproof shells.

It seems like the organizers use the honor system with regards to enforcement of the regs.  As a "rule follower" I find this mildly annoying but understand it's a volunteer run event and trying to get the entire field to wear their helmets and attach skis to packs at booters is difficult.  I was directly behind a participant who staggered up the first boot pack dragging a ski in each hand by the toe binding.  Not real safe for those of us below and not real smart as dropping a ski at that location would've cost them a bunch of time.  I don't see this changing unless the organizers start adding penalty time for infractions. I doubt they will ever take it this seriously as the event is a like a big, fun group of competitive friends trying to beat each other through whatever means possible. I'm always amazed at how many people actually show up to skin up the mountain in the rain!

I appreciate all of the volunteers who were probably as wet as any of us, thanks for your willingness to suffer!

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
15 Feb 2016 11:08 - 15 Feb 2016 15:48 #226118 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Vertfest 2016

I was one of the volunteers yelling at folks at the Fan. Unfortunately, the no-carry rule was not clearly communicated to the racers before the race (either in the race rules or by Martin), but it was to us (plus we were told to DNF anybody who would not comply since it is a safety thing), so there was some confusion and frustration. Sorry about that. At least nobody got disqualified in the end.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Feb 2016 11:34 #226119 by Charlie Hagedorn
In years past, the backpack thing was communicated well in the race meeting, but not enforced at the gates. Friends said it got testy this year at the gate.

Clear expectations and simple enforcement seem like the way forward. A little sign at bootpack #1 "Skis on packs!" might limit debate on the subject.

A statement on ski leashes would be rad, too.

Anyone have a link to the results? I neglected to pull a GregL and take pictures of the results sheet for everyone. Next year...

More
15 Feb 2016 13:59 #226121 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Vertfest 2016

Anyone have a link to the results? I neglected to pull a GregL and take pictures of the results sheet for everyone.  Next year...

I was going to ask the same thing - had another commitment and couldn't be there to take the picture!

• NWAC
  • [Friends of NWAC]
More
19 Feb 2016 19:01 #226155 by NWAC
Replied by NWAC on topic Re: Vertfest 2016
Vertfest results have been posted!  We apologize for the delay.  Long story, but we had some problems with a corrupt Excel file and a key person leaving town and locking the original race forms in his house. One of these years we will have flawless timing!

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Feb 2016 19:40 #226158 by Charlie Hagedorn
Thank you :)!