Home > Trip Reports > Jan 12, Mt Emmons, CO, Redwell Bowl

Jan 12, Mt Emmons, CO, Redwell Bowl

1/12/16
US elsewhere
Posted by TonyM on 1/13/16 11:57pm
The temp was -19 at 7:30 AM.  It was tempting to wait a day or two for the temps to warm up, but our plans were set. The plan was to ascend Emmons from the Kebler Pass winter TH (the normal route up), and do an up-and-over Emmons via Redwell Basin.  It was -11 at the winter trailhead.

There's typically an inversion in most of these area valleys and as we climbed higher, the temps rose.  Didn't have a thermometer, but I'd guess the temp rose to at least 0 at 11K feet.  But even at 0, it seems warm with the low humidity, full sun, and no wind.  It was a nice skin to near the top of Emmons.  We broke left/west just below the summit at about 12,200 to gain the entrance to Redwell. 

This was my first time on this tour and I have to admit, the entrance looked a little steep.

Danielle led the way and side-slipped down to the beginning of the slope proper. 

This bowl faces north, and with the cold temps we have had the past few days, the snow from a week ago was still really nice!!  Powder, and then lots more powder.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1668/24367159585_7ef7d846db_c.jpg" />

From near the bottom of the upper bowl:

This is a ski requires route finding over a long distance, steep skiing, and a variety of terrain ranging from the wide open high bowl of Redwell proper:

To nice open tree skiing down into Oh-Be-Joyful drainage:

...which eventually leads to the Slate River and out to the Slate River winter TH (where a shuttle car was parked some 7-8 miles away from the Kebler winter TH).

We hit it on a perfect day after all given the chilly start.  The skiing was fantastic, the group was great, and the scenery was nice.
Nice trip report and photos.  Your -11 temperature reminds me of a few/many years ago when we visited a couple in Fairplay,CO. Planning to go to Copper Mt and got up at -22. Waited until it got up to -10. Riding high speed quads is very, very, very cold. You and your buddies are "tough".  ;)

Try dropping in mid bowl (near the sun 3rd pic).  It's a great tour.  We only had 1 car, so would stash running shoes at the slate river TH and have a cool down jog back to town/Kebler Pass (typically at dusk). 

Pencil and eraser are also good.  :)

I miss CB!  Thanks for sharing the stoke!

Reply to this TR

jan-12-mt-emmons-co-redwell-bowl
TonyM
2016-01-14 07:57:24