Home > Forum > Getting back into the Backcountry near Baker

Getting back into the Backcountry near Baker

• jjones
  • [jjones]
More
13 Jan 2016 19:47 #225717 by jjones
After completing the tediously long and painful post-accident( not on snow) road through physio /rehab I'm making my first forays into the backcountry again after 3 years off the snow. I'm a regular guy, about to hit 40 with intermediate alpine experience (some mountaineering, lots of touring, 2 "big descents") under my belt. I have zero ego, have been a trained WEMT for 20+ years, have 4x4 transport and gear for just about anything short of big walls.

I'm looking for some helpful beta on the backcountry around Baker where I live now. I'm not as interested in lift-served terrain at the moment but rather in finding out how set up logistics/routes for places like Twin lakes, Church/Bear, Herman etc.

Any and all comments and info are much appreciated. Getting back to the mountains has been my motivation for some time; now that I'm back I just need a little push :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
13 Jan 2016 22:15 #225720 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Getting back into the Backcountry near Baker
Blending in-area skiing at Baker and touring around Herman would be a fine re-intro for you. The Baker time would help with skills and strength development, the Herman stuff would feed the touring beast...

More
14 Jan 2016 10:40 #225724 by Jason4
Twin lakes is a long grind right now, the DOT has stacked a big snow berm at the highway so you don't get any bump by car from there. Canyon Creek Road and Glacier Creek Road will have lots of snowmobile traffic but at least CCR will get you up to ~2500' before you set out on skis and there will be a packed/groomed trail to follow from there. GCR will leave you skinning from hwy level. You might consider access from Church Mountain road, Hannegan Pass road, or Skyline Divide but you'll be blocked by car access at a fairly low level due to snow.

The south side of Baker gets you to the National Rec Area but that's also full of sleds. Again, due to sled access you get roads that are maintained a bit higher and also a groomed trail to follow to get up the mountain but you have to accept the noise and high speed of passing sleds.

That leaves Heather Meadows as the easiest high-elevation backcountry access point. Pick up a map, check the NWAC forecast, and start touring. Weekends are a gong show up there but there is obvious low hanging fruit that you can see from the parking lot. Exploring just what you can see will keep you busy for a few weekends at least. Objectives like Table are straightforward but I'd suggest always climbing up along the ridge/road to Artist Point, even for repeat laps due to the volume of downhill traffic that is up there. Herman Saddle is a nice vista but watch out for the breakable crust that forms on south side of Herman. If you want a traverse more than fall line skiing consider Ptarmigan Ridge or Ruth Mountain.

There are more options out hwy 20 and Cascade River Road but those have less beta and are more exploratory in nature.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
14 Jan 2016 17:30 #225731 by peteyboy
Welcome back to being out there, and welcome to Baker. The advice given here may sound reluctant but it's sound; the community here is phenomenal and people are very welcoming. Except for early and late season, access up Twin Lakes Road, DCR, GCR and CCR is typically sled access (no slight to the young studs who topped Baker after starting by skiing the whole road last weekend). 95% of the day tours in-season start out of Heather Meadows. Those willing to walk far get to ski tremendous terrain in what quickly becomes a wilderness setting. A strong, experienced person like you who is likable and responsible will be quickly embraced and brought on tours around Baker. Get to know people out of Heather Meadows and in Glacier. The place is magical.

• jjones
  • [jjones]
More
15 Jan 2016 11:03 #225737 by jjones
Thanks for all of the awesome advice! I understand it can be a process, integrating into such a small and tight-knit backcountry community. Trust is earned and usually with your skins on and not at a keyboard. I'm looking forward to hanging out with new friends and old, alike up in the wonderland that is Whatcom/Skagit. Feel free to give me a shout - I'm always ready to go out

More
22 Jan 2016 13:20 #225863 by n16ht5
My friends and I typically sled or snowbike in to schreiber's, canyon creek, or twin lakes. I'll haul whoever I can up for a tasty beverage.
347-559-8223 Chris