Home > Trip Reports > Jan 10, 2016, Blowdown Peak, Duffey Lake, BC

Jan 10, 2016, Blowdown Peak, Duffey Lake, BC

1/10/16
Canada BC
Posted by discostew on 1/11/16 1:41pm
After more than a week of sun, the Avalanche Canada forecast actually recommended going after bigger objectives. We decided to hit a large avy path further north along the Duffey Lake Road than I'd ever been before to try to escape the masses. After being passed by multiple sleds ridden by 2-3 tourers each up the first 5 km of logging road, I was pretty sure we were only going to be getting sloppy 12ths 13ths and 14ths down the run we had in mind. But everyone must have headed towards the more popular drainage accessed by that road, as we were surprised to find ourselves alone in our basin of choice once we skinned to the tree line. Enjoyed a couple laps of 20 cms of sugary facets over crust on N/NW facing slopes in solitude.  And as I write this, we are now getting a refresh!

https://vimeo.com/151403281

Taking in the view of Duffey Lake from a turn in the logging road as sledders fly by us

We hit the more wide open one on the right

The top of our first short lap

Transforming from uphill skis to downhill fun machine

Tasty looking stuff to the SE

Lap 1 lines shredded, heading up for a bigger lap 2

Beautiful Duffey Lake in the sun

To the summit! (which we never actually bothered getting to)

Top of lap 2

Bottom of lap 2, post shralping
Nice you will often be alone on that run as 5km-10km up the road with a sled is some of the best terrain on the Duffey and not crowds.

Reply to this TR

jan-10-2016-blowdown-peak-duffey-lake-bc
discostew
2016-01-11 21:41:54