telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 03:16 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  January 2016 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  January, 10, 2016, Devils Backbone, Entiat
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: January, 10, 2016, Devils Backbone, Entiat  (Read 4853 times)
ADappen
5Member

January, 10, 2016, Devils Backbone, Entiat
« on: 01/11/16, 03:58 PM »

"Thank goodness I'm not a Seahawks fan. "

It's a typical Tom Janisch comment, who is anything but the typical follower of American culture. It's 10:30 a.m, meaning a large percentage of Northwesterners will be glued to televisions watching the Hawks in their first post-season game against the Vikings. As for the four us skiing the Entiat region today, we've just broken out of valley clouds and are immersed in brilliant sunshine and brilliant scenery. We look up at Devils Backbone, a ridge between the Entiat River drainage and Lake Chelan, and take in all the skiable lines above which, of course, has all of us understanding what Tom is driving at.

A few hours later we were lunching on the top of a nameless peak from which the regionally famous Pot Peak mountain-bike descent starts. Mount Stuart is a sore thumb sticking above the clouds to our south and Star Peak lords over the valley clouds to our north.

Following lunch, we strip skins for the fun that will offset the exercise that delivered us here. First we take a short lap off the north side of our peaklet. "It's amazing how long powder can last," Adam Vognild notes as we climb out of the hole we just sampled. It's true, the fluff we just skied fell over 10 days ago. Temperatures have warmed around the region and yet these north-facing slopes are coated with crystals as devoid of substance as the arguments of most political candidates.

On our return back to the car, which has nearly a 5,000 vertical foot drop, we work the slopes carefully to avoid the crust that has formed on parts of our south-facing ridge. We stick to the west side of the ridge and mine excellent snow all the way down to the snowed-over forest road leading downward to the Entiat River Road. The forest road is a combination of ice (in our ski tracks) and breakable crust (out of our tracks) and the last few miles are steep enough that the descent is fast and scary. Early on I try letting my boards run straight like the ex-ski racer in our company. One harsh body slam makes me realize a racer I am not and a snowplower I must sometimes be.

"What a bummer we had to ski all that powder, rather than watch football," Tom says as we load skis into the car. As a cultural Neanderthal he doesn't realize that some of us can have our powder and football too. When I get home I switch on the DVR and watch the Seahawks take down the Vikings. The win is as implausible as our win at finding so much powder after a week of warm temperatures around the region.

For more details about this area, a map, and/or more pictures see this link at the WenatcheeOutdoors Forum.

* IMG_4920-002.JPG (102.52 KB, 900x600 - viewed 1636 times.)

* IMG_4949-002.JPG (131.42 KB, 900x625 - viewed 1630 times.)

* IMG_5017-002.JPG (185.83 KB, 900x600 - viewed 1632 times.)
« Last Edit: 01/15/16, 01:12 PM by ADappen » Logged
jwplotz

Re: January, 10, 2016, Devils Backbone, Entiat
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/16, 04:30 PM »

Let me be the first to comment!  Nice report!  You had your cake and ate it too. 

You and Tom have a rich history of dissing the NFL for skiing  at your peril

Glad you had better results this time!
Good2Go

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/16, 05:35 PM »

Very cool terrain and generous of you to share details of your stash!  We found copious pow on n facing aspects around the SW side of Stuart as well.  Viva El Nino!
jwplotz

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/16, 06:04 PM »

Very cool terrain and generous of you to share details of your stash!  We found copious pow on n facing aspects around the SW side of Stuart as well.  Viva El Nino!

I find it very hard to believe you were touring around Stuart.
ADappen
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 01/11/16, 06:10 PM »

John, I'm impressed you remember that ill-fated trip. I've worked hard to forget.

Good2Go, The Entiat Valley seems destined to remain little skied. The snowpack to access the Devils Backbone area is usually thin (you start at 1700 feet) and the distances to get here are insultingly long. For those of us living in Wenatchee, for example, we have to deal with the cruelty of being in the car for about an hour to reach the area. Shorter drives get skiers to the Mission Ridge backcountry, up Icicle Creek, to Blewett Pass, and to Stevens Pass. Who wants to the ski the thin snowpack of Nowheresville?
« Last Edit: 01/11/16, 06:17 PM by ADappen » Logged
Good2Go

« Reply #5 on: 01/11/16, 08:16 PM »

I find it very hard to believe you were touring around Stuart.

There she blows!  South side rules!

* Stu_Small.jpg (247.67 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 1505 times.)
jwplotz

« Reply #6 on: 01/11/16, 08:33 PM »

You're a creature of habit!

Lovely photo!
ADappen
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 01/12/16, 06:24 AM »

Beautiful picture of Stuart. Here's one more looking your way and one more looking north from our Entiat perch.

* IMG_4962.JPG (112.53 KB, 900x613 - viewed 1388 times.)

* IMG_4970-002.JPG (84.03 KB, 900x600 - viewed 1364 times.)
jtack

« Reply #8 on: 01/13/16, 08:03 AM »

Nice report Andy, glad you had good snow. I have experienced that bobsled run and I do not care much for the ride.
ADappen
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 01/13/16, 03:24 PM »

Last week while skiing Stormy Mountain the same road was powder coated on the margin, it was easy to shed speed. Truthfully, the ice and breakable crust can make a boring road pretty darn exciting.
PhilH

« Reply #10 on: 01/14/16, 08:56 AM »

"It's amazing how long powder can last," Adam Vognild notes as we climb out of the hole we just sampled. It's true, the fluff we just skied fell over 10 days ago. Temperatures have warmed around the region and yet these north-facing slopes are coated with crystals as devoid of substance as the arguments of most political candidates.

We found the same thing on north aspects in the White Pass environs. Our turns made a sound like tossing buckets of sand on a tile floor.
wickstad

« Reply #11 on: 01/17/16, 10:15 PM »

There is solace in there.
skibacks
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 01/17/16, 10:32 PM »

Nice report & very entertaining prose. 

skibacks
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.