09 Jan 2016 16:31 #225664 by flowing alpy
source lake uphill dog park trail was created by flowing alpy
plenty of parking in lot4
groomed trail just 4 fido
bring your fanciest PDS ski, rockerrocker
use Radical Speed tiny clamps
800$ footwear should help but
the floaterAvy pack complete's ya.

now about that cattle/ladradoodle/pug whatever you want to have chase around in nature, sure is cute, huh? playing in the snow, huh you big tour studs.
way to get after it in one of the most over populated areas in the Cascade Mountains, bet you'd break trail picking up the shit your dogs left behind.
No leash
No problem
the ski and board community that respect this place will pick up the slack, hope an edge never catches fido as fido chases uphill into downhill rider traffic.
nobody like's seeing the mess it leaves behind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2016 19:56 #225668 by Pete_H
Replied by Pete_H on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Wow sounds like a real serious issue. What do you propose we do as a country to come together to solve this very pressing serious problem?

More
10 Jan 2016 05:53 #225672 by sconey
Replied by sconey on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
We are going to build a wall, and the dogs are going to pay for it!

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Jan 2016 08:23 - 10 Jan 2016 08:29 #225673 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Definitely a few nice dogs on tour  up thattaway yesterday. Lots more dogs with booters down around the water tower and a ways above. Good luck getting the PSA to them (and the snowshoe dog buddies)...

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Jan 2016 17:03 #225678 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Wow sounds like a real serious issue. What do you propose we do as a country to come together to solve this very pressing serious problem?

i'd have all the corporate and club groups that use the area for clients, teach their clients the proper areas to let their dog run off leash, how to bag and properly dispose of their animals feces and look up when they are using a downhill trail for their uphill travel. there are no lift served ski hills on Mt. Snoqualmie, that would be a good place to start.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jan 2016 19:24 #225680 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
I saw folks sledding on the side of I-90 today, between the WB onramp at Denny Creek and the highway. At least those folks don't have enough brain cells to make it up the pass and get in bobby's way. Today a group of snowshoers headed back to the parking lot asked me which side of the trail I preferred them to be on. I thanked them for their thoughfulness and responded, "either, as long as you stay on it".

The folks with only boots on their feet are the ones I'm most concerned about. Can we start a punchcard system for the dogshit? Every 10 piles you run over you get a free wax and tune?

More
10 Jan 2016 20:48 #225685 by Pete_H

The folks with only boots on their feet are the ones I'm most concerned about. Can we start a punchcard system for the dogshit? Every 10 piles you run over you get a free wax and tune?

That is a free wax job. The special xtra stinky brown wax

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 Jan 2016 17:11 #225712 by flowing alpy
lot4 is groomed and ready for the saturday mass snoshoo trudge to source lake.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
13 Jan 2016 19:53 #225718 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

lot4 is groomed and ready for the saturday mass snoshoo trudge to source lake.

Yays.

I'm wondering how mobbed it'll be Friday night.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Jan 2016 19:53 #225746 by flowing alpy
the uphill migration on webbed plastic devices has begun, the dogs were less abundant but saw a big ole black spotted Great Dane going up the Snoqualmie side with his owner. Awesome looking animal!

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
15 Jan 2016 21:04 - 15 Jan 2016 21:11 #225748 by glenn_b
Replied by glenn_b on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Got totally pissed off by two dog owners today while teaching 5&6 yo kids at the  Summit Nordic center at Hyak. One let their dog, some kind of Labradoodle mutt, get away onto the lower teaching area from the adjacent Rampart Drive, barking and running at skiers. Later, snowshoers sorting out their kit at the lodge allowed their burly Lab mix to freely run around barking at people before finally leashing it.

More
16 Jan 2016 09:55 #225749 by Pete_H
Oh the horror.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Jan 2016 14:02 #225752 by flowing alpy
hey pete, some of us dog owners control our animals in places that are NOT classified as OFF-LEASH. Know what sucks, teaching a small human being to ski at a ski area and having some schmucks precious lil snowflake labrabull charge towards and around them on the cat-track.

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
16 Jan 2016 18:44 #225756 by glenn_b
Pete,
Didn't your dog(Rainy?) disappear chasing deer or something up at Blewett a while back? Care to tell us how that worked out?

More
17 Jan 2016 21:50 #225769 by Pete_H
Geez Glenn I'm sorry you were acosted by a marauding labradoodle. It really sounds like a horrible situation that warrants a good old internet rant. What that has to do with losing Rainy (nice job remembering her name!) I'm not really sure. Perhaps you can tell me!

More
17 Jan 2016 22:16 #225770 by Pete_H

hey pete, some of us dog owners control our animals in places that are NOT classified as OFF-LEASH. Know what sucks, teaching a small human being to ski at a ski area and having some schmucks precious lil snowflake labrabull charge towards and around them on the cat-track.

Hey friend, I'm not trying to defend any heinous off-leash perpetrators, brown wax non picker-uppers, or Great Danes in the mountains or anything, I'm just saying there's a lot worse things to get worked up about. Like snowshoeing the skin track. Now that shiz is just not right!

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
18 Jan 2016 10:56 #225772 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

Hey friend, I'm not trying to defend any heinous off-leash perpetrators, brown wax non picker-uppers, or Great Danes in the mountains or anything, I'm just saying there's a lot worse things to get worked up about. Like snowshoeing the skin track. Now that shiz is just not right!

What these guys are ranting about are real safety hazards. Someone could get hurt or hurt a dog running loose in crowded areas with skiers.

Maybe Glenn was implying that you don't really understand responsible dog ownership?

Snowshoeing in the skin track is just annoying.

More
18 Jan 2016 11:32 #225773 by gravyb
Replied by gravyb on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
At times I'm able to view the dog issues with a sense of humor and my day goes on just fine. However, safety issues do arise along with the disgustingness of dog crap everywhere. Too bad it's not worth money because there's a treasure of frozen dog chodes in the lot 4 snow banks.

About 10 years ago I was tucking to keep my speed up and a big yellow lab jumped in front of me near the water tower. I nailed him going 40 or more, lost my ski and crashed. I gave an earful to the owner about not using a leash and everything else he and his wife were doing wrong. I think I broke the dog's leg as it wouldn't put any weight on it and it looked jacked-up.

If people must hike with dogs summer or winter put them on a leash. Maybe you love your dog, I sure as hell don't.

• andyski
  • [andyski]
More
18 Jan 2016 13:39 #225774 by andyski
Replied by andyski on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

I and the OP have seen unleashed dogs get seriously wounded in this area as a result of getting hit by passing skiers. Maybe that's cool with you.

Feel free to focus on super important issues like reliable mid-week opening times for the road to Paradise.

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
18 Jan 2016 14:27 #225776 by BrianT
Replied by BrianT on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
As a dog owner (who let's his dog go play unleashed in 'leashed' area's and as a skier) I see both sides of this with valid points.

My take on this is the following:

As a dog owner. If you're dog is always in the way (like mine) leash it or don't take it to a popular area. Clean up after it and make sure you do the right thing.

As a skier. If you're so out of control that you hit a dog on a small trail, I kinda feel like you're in the wrong here. Yes, maybe the dog was unleashed, but had that dog been a person, you would have hit them as well. Had the dog been eratic (see first response) then the dog owner is at fault.

The short answer to this just like the don't hike in the skin track/etc.. is, it's going to happen, and you should just learn to either report the issues to the authorities, or deal with it in a polite manner. Bitching about something on a forum isn't really going to fix anything, unless you're addressing a specific person/group that troll this forum, which I'm fairly certain you are not.

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
18 Jan 2016 15:00 #225777 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

As a skier. If you're so out of control that you hit a dog on a small trail, I kinda feel like you're in the wrong here. Yes, maybe the dog was unleashed, but had that dog been a person, you would have hit them as well.  Had the dog been eratic (see first response) then the dog owner is at fault.

If you let your dog run out of control on an established downhill return to the ski base area you're inconsiderate and stupid. If a person is on that trail they're inconsiderate and stupid too.

It's just like stopping in a blind spot on the piste.

More
18 Jan 2016 15:01 #225778 by gravyb
Replied by gravyb on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
If you're referring to my collision you absolutely false.  I was 100% in control and the dog jumped in my path leaving zero time to do anything but ram it.  It would be like jumping off a freeway overpass and blaming a driver for hitting you.

If you're so out of control as a dog owner your dog likely will get hit by skiers, cars, bikers etc.  It's your responsibility to keep your dog out of the way of fast moving traffic.

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
18 Jan 2016 16:25 #225781 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail

As a skier. If you're so out of control that you hit a dog on a small trail, I kinda feel like you're in the wrong here. Yes, maybe the dog was unleashed, but had that dog been a person, you would have hit them as well.

Yeah, no...
People will look up and react accordingly when incoming skiers yell a warning, like "skier on track"...
People move over - dogs not so much.

Had the dog been eratic (see first response) then the dog owner is at fault.

There you have it...

If you let your dog run out of control on an established downhill return to the ski base area you're inconsiderate and stupid. If a person is on that trail they're inconsiderate and stupid too.

It's just like stopping in a blind spot on the piste.

^^^
This

That trail is a ski area exit, down hill traffic.
People heading up that trail need to exercise awareness to their surroundings and immediate dangers (such as incoming traffic).

And, for all the p00baggers, please carry that crap out with you...

• glenn_b
  • [glenn_b]
More
18 Jan 2016 16:48 - 18 Jan 2016 16:56 #225782 by glenn_b

Maybe Glenn was implying that you don't really understand responsible dog ownership?

Bingo!

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Jan 2016 18:52 #225787 by flowing alpy
thing is, i never see dogs running around the golf course. I don't think a ski area should be any different, with respect to the guest experience, as far as dog/human interactions are concerned. Andy brings up a good example that I wasn't even going to mention, the safety for the dog issue is real.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Jan 2016 18:58 #225788 by flowing alpy

...or snowshoeing up the downhill ski track out of source lake with unleashed dogs.

More
18 Jan 2016 22:20 #225793 by Pete_H

Bingo!

Nice job fellas on the brilliant insight. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one with my dog on the day she was lost. There also wasn't any irresponsible activity on anyone's part that day anyway. But thanks for bringing up the happy memories! 

At any rate, no one is arguing that frantic hordes of dogs should be loosed onto the piste to trample innocent ski school children practicing their pizza and french fries. However, I have a hard time getting too worked up because one dog ran around on the groomed run a bit. Inappropriate, yes. The end of the world, no.

As for the OP and his complaint of running into dogs on the out track: I know its fun to go fast there and everything but it is also a popular trail open to uphill traffic and a trail where its completely legal to have off-leash dogs. So please just exercise some patience and realize that even though you are a super rad big line shredder it is is foreseeable that you may encounter uphill traffic and dogs and ski appropriately.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jan 2016 23:25 #225795 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
Yeah whenever I ski out that way I just expect it to be a bowling alley. Expecting any less is like expecting folks not to illegally camp in the left lane on the way home. Fine to ask, but good luck with that...

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Jan 2016 06:16 #225796 by flowing alpy

Nice job fellas on the brilliant insight. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one with my dog on the day she was lost. There also wasn't any irresponsible activity on anyone's part that day anyway. But thanks for bringing up the happy memories! 

At any rate, no one is arguing that frantic hordes of dogs should be loosed onto the piste to trample innocent ski school children practicing their pizza and french fries. However, I have a hard time getting too worked up because one dog ran around on the groomed run a bit. Inappropriate, yes. The end of the world, no.

As for the OP and his complaint of running into dogs on the out track: I know its fun to go fast there and everything but it is also a popular trail open to uphill traffic and a trail where its completely legal to have off-leash dogs. So please just exercise some patience and realize that even though you are a super rad big line shredder it is is foreseeable that you may encounter uphill traffic and dogs and ski appropriately.

completely legal to have a dog run off-leash during ski area operation is something i'd like to see in print by the USFS.

More
19 Jan 2016 07:45 #225798 by Pete_H
Dude i agree with you its probably a good idea to leash your dog on a trail that empties out runs from a ski area, at least till you get above the congested section down low. But Jim Oker pretty much sums it up in his previous post. If I remember correctly there are also signs warning skiers to watch for uphill traffic.

I could be wrong but I don't think that trail is technically part of the ski area, so therefore it's just like any other piece of FS land, where there are no dog leash laws.