telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/22/17, 07:37 PM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  source lake uphill dog park trail
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: source lake uphill dog park trail  (Read 131425 times)
flowing alpy

source lake uphill dog park trail
« on: 01/09/16, 04:31 PM »

plenty of parking in lot4
groomed trail just 4 fido
bring your fanciest PDS ski, rockerrocker
use Radical Speed tiny clamps
800$ footwear should help but
the floaterAvy pack complete's ya.

now about that cattle/ladradoodle/pug whatever you want to have chase around in nature, sure is cute, huh? playing in the snow, huh you big tour studs.
way to get after it in one of the most over populated areas in the Cascade Mountains, bet you'd break trail picking up the shit your dogs left behind.
No leash
No problem
the ski and board community that respect this place will pick up the slack, hope an edge never catches fido as fido chases uphill into downhill rider traffic.
nobody like's seeing the mess it leaves behind.

Pete_H

Re: source lake uphill dog park trail
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/16, 07:56 PM »

Wow sounds like a real serious issue. What do you propose we do as a country to come together to solve this very pressing serious problem?
sconey
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 01/10/16, 05:53 AM »

We are going to build a wall, and the dogs are going to pay for it!
Jim Oker

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/16, 08:23 AM »

Definitely a few nice dogs on tour  up thattaway yesterday. Lots more dogs with booters down around the water tower and a ways above. Good luck getting the PSA to them (and the snowshoe dog buddies)...
« Last Edit: 01/10/16, 08:29 AM by Jim Oker » Logged
flowing alpy

« Reply #4 on: 01/10/16, 05:03 PM »

Wow sounds like a real serious issue. What do you propose we do as a country to come together to solve this very pressing serious problem?
i'd have all the corporate and club groups that use the area for clients, teach their clients the proper areas to let their dog run off leash, how to bag and properly dispose of their animals feces and look up when they are using a downhill trail for their uphill travel. there are no lift served ski hills on Mt. Snoqualmie, that would be a good place to start.
pipedream

« Reply #5 on: 01/10/16, 07:24 PM »

I saw folks sledding on the side of I-90 today, between the WB onramp at Denny Creek and the highway. At least those folks don't have enough brain cells to make it up the pass and get in bobby's way. Today a group of snowshoers headed back to the parking lot asked me which side of the trail I preferred them to be on. I thanked them for their thoughfulness and responded, "either, as long as you stay on it".

The folks with only boots on their feet are the ones I'm most concerned about. Can we start a punchcard system for the dogshit? Every 10 piles you run over you get a free wax and tune?

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
Pete_H

« Reply #6 on: 01/10/16, 08:48 PM »

The folks with only boots on their feet are the ones I'm most concerned about. Can we start a punchcard system for the dogshit? Every 10 piles you run over you get a free wax and tune?

That is a free wax job. The special xtra stinky brown wax
flowing alpy

« Reply #7 on: 01/13/16, 05:11 PM »

lot4 is groomed and ready for the saturday mass snoshoo trudge to source lake.
Chuck C

« Reply #8 on: 01/13/16, 07:53 PM »

lot4 is groomed and ready for the saturday mass snoshoo trudge to source lake.

Yays.

I'm wondering how mobbed it'll be Friday night.
flowing alpy

« Reply #9 on: 01/15/16, 07:53 PM »

the uphill migration on webbed plastic devices has begun, the dogs were less abundant but saw a big ole black spotted Great Dane going up the Snoqualmie side with his owner. Awesome looking animal!
glenn_b

« Reply #10 on: 01/15/16, 09:04 PM »

Got totally pissed off by two dog owners today while teaching 5&6 yo kids at the  Summit Nordic center at Hyak. One let their dog, some kind of Labradoodle mutt, get away onto the lower teaching area from the adjacent Rampart Drive, barking and running at skiers. Later, snowshoers sorting out their kit at the lodge allowed their burly Lab mix to freely run around barking at people before finally leashing it.
« Last Edit: 01/15/16, 09:11 PM by glenn_b » Logged
Pete_H

« Reply #11 on: 01/16/16, 09:55 AM »

Oh the horror.
flowing alpy

« Reply #12 on: 01/16/16, 02:02 PM »

hey pete, some of us dog owners control our animals in places that are NOT classified as OFF-LEASH. Know what sucks, teaching a small human being to ski at a ski area and having some schmucks precious lil snowflake labrabull charge towards and around them on the cat-track.
glenn_b

« Reply #13 on: 01/16/16, 06:44 PM »

Pete,
Didn't your dog(Rainy?) disappear chasing deer or something up at Blewett a while back?  Care to tell us how that worked out?
Pete_H

« Reply #14 on: 01/17/16, 09:50 PM »

Geez Glenn I'm sorry you were acosted by a marauding labradoodle. It really sounds like a horrible situation that warrants a good old internet rant. What that has to do with losing Rainy (nice job remembering her name!) I'm not really sure. Perhaps you can tell me!
Pete_H

« Reply #15 on: 01/17/16, 10:16 PM »

hey pete, some of us dog owners control our animals in places that are NOT classified as OFF-LEASH. Know what sucks, teaching a small human being to ski at a ski area and having some schmucks precious lil snowflake labrabull charge towards and around them on the cat-track.

Hey friend, I'm not trying to defend any heinous off-leash perpetrators, brown wax non picker-uppers, or Great Danes in the mountains or anything, I'm just saying there's a lot worse things to get worked up about. Like snowshoeing the skin track. Now that shiz is just not right!
aaron_wright

« Reply #16 on: 01/18/16, 10:56 AM »

Hey friend, I'm not trying to defend any heinous off-leash perpetrators, brown wax non picker-uppers, or Great Danes in the mountains or anything, I'm just saying there's a lot worse things to get worked up about. Like snowshoeing the skin track. Now that shiz is just not right!
What these guys are ranting about are real safety hazards. Someone could get hurt or hurt a dog running loose in crowded areas with skiers.

Maybe Glenn was implying that you don't really understand responsible dog ownership?

Snowshoeing in the skin track is just annoying.
gravyb
5Member

« Reply #17 on: 01/18/16, 11:32 AM »

At times I'm able to view the dog issues with a sense of humor and my day goes on just fine.  However, safety issues do arise along with the disgustingness of dog crap everywhere.  Too bad it's not worth money because there's a treasure of frozen dog chodes in the lot 4 snow banks.

About 10 years ago I was tucking to keep my speed up and a big yellow lab jumped in front of me near the water tower.  I nailed him going 40 or more, lost my ski and crashed.  I gave an earful to the owner about not using a leash and everything else he and his wife were doing wrong.  I think I broke the dog's leg as it wouldn't put any weight on it and it looked jacked-up.

If people must hike with dogs summer or winter put them on a leash.  Maybe you love your dog, I sure as hell don't.
andyski

« Reply #18 on: 01/18/16, 01:39 PM »

I and the OP have seen unleashed dogs get seriously wounded in this area as a result of getting hit by passing skiers. Maybe that's cool with you.

Feel free to focus on super important issues like reliable mid-week opening times for the road to Paradise.
BrianT

« Reply #19 on: 01/18/16, 02:27 PM »

As a dog owner (who let's his dog go play unleashed in 'leashed' area's and as a skier) I see both sides of this with valid points.

My take on this is the following:

As a dog owner. If you're dog is always in the way (like mine) leash it or don't take it to a popular area. Clean up after it and make sure you do the right thing.

As a skier. If you're so out of control that you hit a dog on a small trail, I kinda feel like you're in the wrong here. Yes, maybe the dog was unleashed, but had that dog been a person, you would have hit them as well.  Had the dog been eratic (see first response) then the dog owner is at fault.

The short answer to this just like the don't hike in the skin track/etc.. is, it's going to happen, and you should just learn to either report the issues to the authorities, or deal with it in a polite manner.  Bitching about something on a forum isn't really going to fix anything, unless you're addressing a specific person/group that troll this forum, which I'm fairly certain you are not.
aaron_wright

« Reply #20 on: 01/18/16, 03:00 PM »

As a skier. If you're so out of control that you hit a dog on a small trail, I kinda feel like you're in the wrong here. Yes, maybe the dog was unleashed, but had that dog been a person, you would have hit them as well.  Had the dog been eratic (see first response) then the dog owner is at fault.

If you let your dog run out of control on an established downhill return to the ski base area you're inconsiderate and stupid. If a person is on that trail they're inconsiderate and stupid too.

It's just like stopping in a blind spot on the piste.
gravyb
5Member

« Reply #21 on: 01/18/16, 03:01 PM »

If you're referring to my collision you absolutely false.  I was 100% in control and the dog jumped in my path leaving zero time to do anything but ram it.  It would be like jumping off a freeway overpass and blaming a driver for hitting you.

If you're so out of control as a dog owner your dog likely will get hit by skiers, cars, bikers etc.  It's your responsibility to keep your dog out of the way of fast moving traffic.

gravitymk

« Reply #22 on: 01/18/16, 04:25 PM »

As a skier. If you're so out of control that you hit a dog on a small trail, I kinda feel like you're in the wrong here. Yes, maybe the dog was unleashed, but had that dog been a person, you would have hit them as well.

Yeah, no...
People will look up and react accordingly when incoming skiers yell a warning, like "skier on track"...
People move over - dogs not so much.

Had the dog been eratic (see first response) then the dog owner is at fault.

There you have it...

If you let your dog run out of control on an established downhill return to the ski base area you're inconsiderate and stupid. If a person is on that trail they're inconsiderate and stupid too.

It's just like stopping in a blind spot on the piste.

^^^
This

That trail is a ski area exit, down hill traffic.
People heading up that trail need to exercise awareness to their surroundings and immediate dangers (such as incoming traffic).

And, for all the p00baggers, please carry that crap out with you...
glenn_b

« Reply #23 on: 01/18/16, 04:48 PM »

Maybe Glenn was implying that you don't really understand responsible dog ownership?
Bingo!
« Last Edit: 01/18/16, 04:56 PM by glenn_b » Logged
flowing alpy

« Reply #24 on: 01/18/16, 06:52 PM »

thing is, i never see dogs running around the golf course. I don't think a ski area should be any different, with respect to the guest experience, as far as dog/human interactions are concerned. Andy brings up a good example that I wasn't even going to mention, the safety for the dog issue is real.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.