Home > Forum > Have you skied Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mtns?

Have you skied Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mtns?

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Jan 2016 14:32 #225636 by Lowell_Skoog
I'm helping to compile short descriptions of major backcountry skiing regions in Washington for the Washington State Ski and Snowboard Museum at Snoqualmie Pass.

For the "skiing venues" exhibit, we've divided the state into six regions for backcountry skiing. These zones are shown on the large overview map near the museum entrance:

North Cascades
Central Cascades
South Cascades
Olympics
Okanogan Highlands
Blue Mountains

For each region, we want to include a photograph that captures the flavor of the region and a short description.

I've provided content for the North, Central, and South Cascades and the Olympics. But I've never skied in the Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mountains, so I don't feel able to write them up. Could any of you help with this?

As a example of what we're looking for, I've included the photo and writeup I provided for the Central Cascades. This may give you a sense of the format and level of detail we're looking for. It's just a teeny overview, really:

Central Cascades

Stretching from Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass, the Central Cascades are the region of Washington most frequently visited by backcountry skiers. The Central Cascades are close to several of Washington’s major cities and are served by year-round highways over Stevens, Snoqualmie, and Blewett Passes.

In winter, most backcountry skiing begins along the major highways, starting either near a developed ski area or at one of the Sno-Parks maintained by the state highway department. Spring and summer see the opening of forest roads, which enable skiers to more easily access the Alpine Lakes Wilderness at the core of this region. As in other parts of the Cascades, some backcountry skiers have adopted snowmobiles during the winter season to traverse unplowed roads in the more remote valleys.

Photo: Spring skiing on Mount Hinman in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, by Carl Skoog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
15 Jan 2016 11:14 #225738 by trees4me
Did you find someone to write that for you?

I've skied a few times in both zones. Probably have some pics of sherman pass skiing, but not sure i have any of winter in the blues.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Jan 2016 17:32 #225744 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Have you skied Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mtns?
No, you're the first person to reply. Would be eager to get some input on either region.

More
22 Jan 2016 08:38 #225751 by sb
I've skied several times in the Highlands.  Mt Bonaparte is the highest peak, standing nearly alone east of Tonasket.  I climbed it from both Highway 20 to the south, and from Havillah to the north, via the hiking trail.  A pleasant ski when there's enough snow, but nothing special to report.  Skiing is through the forest; there are no wide open spaces.

Despite the altitude of the Highlands (Mt Bonaparte is 7,000 feet)  it is  dry,  with trees to the summits, and a short midwinter season.  There is a small ski area at Havillah and a larger one on the Canadian side of the border at Mt Baldy.

I don't include the Kettle Range as part of the Highlands. There is quite a bit of interesting skiing there, and even a hut built by locals.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Jan 2016 13:31 - 22 Jan 2016 13:36 #225864 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Have you skied Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mtns?

I don't include the Kettle Range as part of the Highlands.  There is quite a bit of interesting skiing there, and even a hut built by locals.

Thanks Steve.

For better or worse, I used "Okanogan Highlands" as a catch-all term in the WSSSM exhibit for the whole swath of mountains from the Okanogan River to the Idaho border. In my efforts to find a label for that region, that seemed to be the name that I saw applied. Maybe "Northeast Mountains" (which was another candidate) would have been better. The region actually encompasses the Okanogan area, Kettle Range, and Selkirks.

I'm really looking for a description of that whole region. It sounds like the information you've provided could be combined with a description of the Kettle Range and Selkirks (if somebody could provide that). It would be great to have somebody who's familiar with the region write a short description that touches on these areas. Also, we're looking for a photo, if we can get one.

More
22 Jan 2016 17:02 #225867 by sb
For the Kettle Range, you want to talk to Nils Larsen, of Curlew. I don't know anyone who has skiied the Washington Selkirks,, though, doubtless there are such skiers in Spokane. I'lll write some more for you about the Highlands and Kettle Range.

More
23 Jan 2016 12:34 #225859 by sb
Lowell, on second thought it would be much better to have a local write about Kettle Range touring, since it's been years since I was there and I can't provide route detail, or current info about parking, permits, hut use, fire damage to trails, fire opening clearings,etc. Contact me if you can't find Nils.

• trees4me
  • [trees4me]
More
25 Jan 2016 11:52 #225890 by trees4me
sb, it sounds like you've got a lot more intel then me. I've always wanted to check out the okanogan highlands/mt bonaparte. The trips I've done and heard about have all started at Sherman Pass, as it offers an accessible starting point to several peaks and the snow peak cabin (USFS).

Definitely agree that NE WA mountains or something like that would be a better description of the range than Okanogan highlands. The okanogan is on the opposite side of the columbia than the Selkirks, and that's a long stretch for a geographic name.

More
28 Jan 2016 22:27 #225928 by sb
Here's a very short blurb on Kettle Range skiing:

The Kettle Range for Skiing

The Kettle Range is a north-south ridge system, approximately 70 miles long, flanked by the towns of Republic and Kettle Falls, Washinton. It is bisected by State Highway 20, which crosses the range at Sherman Pass, 5600 feet, the state’s highest winter maintained road.

A parking area is kept cleared on the north side of the road at Sherman Pass. Sno-Park Permit is required.

Much of the skiing at the pass is on the south side on Sherman and Snow Peaks (7150 feet. There is a trailhead across the road from the parking area.

From the timbered ridgeline moderate skiable slopes drop down clearings to the east as much as 1500 vertical feet.

A cabin (at 6400 feet) is available for rental at the south end of Snow Peak. For information and to make reservations call 1-877-444-6777 or try www.recreation.gov on the web.

Due to its height, northern latitude, and position far to the east of the Cascade Crest rain is much less likely at Sherman Pass than in the Cascades. The flip side is that heavy snow is less likely, too. But it is nowhere so dry as the Okanogan Highlands and Mt Bonaparte a bit to the West.

More
09 Feb 2016 22:33 #226064 by sb
I just found a photo of the top of Mt Bonaparte, which gives some idea of what it's like there. But I haven't succeeded in transporting it from the desktop to this post. Advice is welcome.

/Users/stevebarnett/Desktop/top of Mt Bonaparte_1.jpg

• aaron_wright
  • [aaron_wright]
More
10 Feb 2016 06:23 #226066 by aaron_wright
Replied by aaron_wright on topic Re: Have you skied Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mtns?
Steve, you need a web host for your photos to post them here, you can't upload photos directly to the forum.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Feb 2016 01:22 #226095 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Have you skied Okanogan Highlands or Blue Mtns?
So long as the image is smaller than 260kb, you can upload it by clicking the "Choose File" link just above the "Post" button when making a post/reply.

More information: www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=35670.0