Home > Trip Reports > January 6 hyak

January 6 hyak

1/6/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ErikT on 1/6/16 12:16am
Quick dawn patrol up at hyak... great boot top pow!

Skiied lift line 3 times, on third time I left a skin behind. Grey k2... if you find it beers on me!

Pics of shred fest to follow
You're killing me!  Too much pow and too much work to escape.

Thanks for a great quick trip! Big party of pass powder pilgrims, especially after first light.

Bond of 4-6" of fluffy new to edgeable old was quite good, ran only as fluffy sluff. Ski quality radically exceeded what one would expect from 33-degree air temperature.

Skied in a thick predawn cloud, clearing over time. Beautiful sunshine on the drive back to the city.

Looking through photos, it looks like Erik's skin departed his pack hipbelt at about mid-height on the hill.

the swashbuckling cowboy method of slapping skins on extra gear loops was so cool too, guess I've learned my lesson.

Nice job in getting some mid-week early morning laps! Maybe now you have a good excuse to buy some skins that can attach to both ends of your skis!

By mid afternoon the goods  had thickened up quite a bit but still fun.

doesn't count as dawn patrol if you don't vimeo it.

https://vimeo.com/150982628

Rando bro-down

Ok no more replies here unless you have my skin - I keep getting excited each time I get the notification email :)

cascademystic
1Member

View Profile
Email
Personal Message (Online)
Jan 5, Mt Hyak
« on: Today at 03:59:01 PM » | Reply with quote
After triggering a 200 foot long, 12" storm slab underneath the Crystal gondola on Monday morning, I went out treading lightly for two solo laps on hyak. Boot deep pow. Upside down snow up top transitioned to smooth, creamy turns 1/3 of the way down. Warmer temps were appreciated after the recent cold snap. Well worth the short drive. The holidays are officially over. Quality skiing at the Pass is not.

*I found someone's skin under the Hyak lift today (Jan 7) and gave it to a groomer. It will be at the lost and found this weekend.

Thanks folks!

Really stretching my karma account here, but if anyone is headed up to pass on Friday and can bring back to Seattle metro area, I'll pay your gas and provide beer :) can't get up there before wknd plans take me a different direction, and hoping to be able to return purchased replacement skins...

Reply to this TR

january-6-hyak
ErikT
2016-01-06 08:16:18