Home > Forum > Skiing in Olympic National Park presentation

Skiing in Olympic National Park presentation

• Stormking
  • [Stormking]
More
05 Jan 2016 10:23 - 06 Jan 2016 19:11 #225599 by Stormking
Roger Oakes will present excerpts from his book "Skiing in Olympic National Park" at 7:00 pm Saturday January 9th, 2016 at the Red Lion Inn, 221 North Lincoln Street, Port Angeles.

Roger Merrill Oakes is a founder and past president of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club, an avid winter enthusiast, and retired doctor in the Port Angeles area.

The book is a comprehensive pictorial history of skiing on the Peninsula dating back to 1936.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2016 12:35 #225600 by runcle

Roger Oakes will present excerpts from his book "Skiing in Olympic National Park." Saturday January 9th, 2016 at the Red Lion Inn, 221 North Lincoln Street, Port Angeles.

Roger Merrill Oakes is a founder and past president of the Hurricane Ridge Winter Sports Club, an avid winter enthusiast, and retired doctor in the Port Angeles area.

The book is a comprehensive pictorial history of skiing on the Peninsula dating back to 1936.

Worth seeing and supporting!   I had a chance to see Roger, my old boss Jack Hughes as well as others affiliated with the ski scene at Hurrciane and Deer Park speak at the local library a few months back.  Standing room only for that presentation! 

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Jan 2016 21:05 #225606 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Skiing in Olympic National Park presentation
What time is the presentation?

More
06 Jan 2016 17:22 #225617 by RonL
It is a good book with a lot of great old pictures. It focuses mostly on the old resorts but talks briefly of some places they considered developing like Sol Duc.

I may go make an attempt at Bogachiel peak on Sat if anyone feels like a long haul.

• Stormking
  • [Stormking]
More
06 Jan 2016 19:12 #225622 by Stormking
Replied by Stormking on topic Re: Skiing in Olympic National Park presentation
7:00 Lowell. Fixed it. Thanks.

More
06 Jan 2016 19:27 #225623 by RonL
Update 2: Sol Duc road is closed due to damage

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Jan 2016 13:38 #225633 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Skiing in Olympic National Park presentation
Anyone out on the peninsula willing to show a visiting Seattle skier around?

I'm thinking that Roger's presentation would be a good excuse to make a trip to Hurricane Ridge on Saturday. I've skied on the tows there, and I did the Hurricane Ridge to Deer Park traverse about a decade ago. But otherwise I don't have much experience skiing around Hurricane Ridge. I'd like to check it out.

Also, if anyone else would like to carpool from Seattle, send me a PM. I'd take an early ferry from Edmonds, with the idea of arriving at the park entrance when they open the gate. Probably return to Seattle on a late ferry Saturday evening.