Home > Trip Reports > December 6, 2005, Slot Couloir

December 6, 2005, Slot Couloir

12/6/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by skykilo on 12/6/05 4:09am
Ross and I skied the Slot today.  

The upper leg of the couloir held wind-affected snow that would have been scary if it weren't so shallow.  Watch for rocks.

The gut held plenty of beautiful, soft snow.  The cliffs at the edge of the couloir are a bit closer than usual, however; I found some rocks that made very interesting noises against my skis.

Skiing the south side of Snoqualmie to the car, the snow wasn't powder in the trees, but it was all really soft.  BOOF is the best single-word description I can give it.   Just a lot of fun: Boof, Boof, BOOF.

"Yeah, you're good, you'll clear that no problem."
BOOF

I was wondering whose skin track that was.

There was talk recently of hitting it soon - thanks for the report on conditions.

Welcome back, Sky.

My partner and I were going to head up there this past Sunday.  When we pulled into the lot we saw what looked like a skin track up the Phantom (snaking around climbers left of the waterfall).  This put a smile on my face as I was not looking forward to the long plowing session.  While getting ready my partner suddenly exploded into fits of rage...forgot his beacon!  We ended up skiing "The Stump" with longing eyes set on Mt. Snoq., Chair, and the Alpental valley.  Anyway, did you guys go up that track on the Phantom?  If so, did that track go up to the entrance of the Slot?  Just wondering if it looked like some hit it before you guys.

The track stoped about 1,000 vertical feet below the summit.

Ross was nice enough to allow me the privilege of some serious trail breaking to the summit.  It sure felt great.

I think the Slot could use another storm or two before it offers the goodness we have all come to know, love and expect.  But Ross and I had to do a public service by killing a funky layer before it could get any further with its sinister evolution.

Sky is my personal trail breaking machine hahahahaha
;)

Hey, Sky

Just wondering if Snow Lake is frozen/snowed over yet ???

Snow Lake was kinda partially frozen over, there was a big area of unfrozenness in the middle of the lake.
Have fun.

Darn :-(  
Maybe splitboard skis will give enough flotation to be safe  :D

Reply to this TR

december-6-2005-slot-couloir
skykilo
2005-12-06 12:09:24