Home > Trip Reports > January 5, 2016, Summit West

January 5, 2016, Summit West

1/5/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by HappyCamper on 1/4/16 11:46pm
Low visibility up top, but plenty of untracked allowed for skiing by braille.  A little heavier down low, but that was a minor complaint.  The 6" of reported new seemed accurate.

If Hyak had better visibility that might have been a better choice.
Lowell mentioned getting run off by the West staff when he tried to skin there a few weeks back. Did you have any contact with any workers? I'm thinking of taking the dog up there for a few laps in the sun tomorrow.

author=Tom Townsend link=topic=35339.msg144833#msg144833 date=1452052668]
Lowell mentioned getting run off by the West staff when he tried to skin there a few weeks back. Did you have any contact with any workers? I'm thinking of taking the dog up there for a few laps in the sun tomorrow.

West wasn't open today, so I wouldn't expect any problems skinning there. They'll be closed again tomorrow until 4pm, when night skiing begins. You may have problems when they're running the lifts.

Refer to the operating schedule here:

http://www.summit-at-snoqualmie.com/content/area-hours

Thanks, I thought that you were there when they were closed and got worried.

Hey guys,
I remembered back to this thread and thought it might be of interest:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=35025.0
Read the second half of Gib's post where he speaks to the non-Alpy areas.
Im lead to believe he has a pretty good understanding of the Pass's uphill policies, and they don't seem to be in conflict with responsible uphill travel at any time.
Maybe he'd be willing to hold a meeting with ops and patrol south of I-90 to better educate them on the matter.
Gib?

I was up there pretty early and didn't see any staff around.  I do have a pass there and brought it with me just in case - would be nice to have some clarity about the policy.

Thanks for the info guys. While my question was based on misinterpretation of Lowells post it's clearly a topic of interest and I appreciate the update.

Reply to this TR

january-5-2016-summit-west
HappyCamper
2016-01-05 07:46:45