Home > Trip Reports > January 4, 2016, west of Snoqualmie Pass

January 4, 2016, west of Snoqualmie Pass

1/4/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 1/4/16 8:28am
Very nice fresh snow from 1700' up!  4-12" depending on altitude and aspect.  Noontime sun was a beautiful surprise.
So elusive....

Somewhere in the Olympics?

Pretty sure he's at Mad River Glen. Base elevation is 1600', and if you go far enough west from the Pass, you're there.

I do know that he was in a FAT zone !

author=Charlie Hagedorn link=topic=35335.msg144778#msg144778 date=145196466 n3]
Pretty sure he's a  Mad Hatter.  And if you go far enough west from the Pass, you're already there.  Now,  I'm late, I'm late. For a very important ski date...

I fixed it for you, Charlie

Bandera- Defiance Adventure zone no doubt.

I don't get the point of these vague arm-waving reports.  I was out, went skiing.  Great.

author=Chamois link=topic=35335.msg144804#msg144804 date=1452022357]
I don't get the point of these vague arm-waving reports.  I was out, went skiing.  Great.

It's a useful conditions report for a region, and it prevents the unimaginative lurker hordes from laying siege to it the next day  :).

two-fer!

Thanks Silas!

author=Chamois link=topic=35335.msg144804#msg144804 date=1452022357]

I get what your saying, but there really is some key useful info here.  Plus what is not said, like, "breakable crust below xxx, tree bombs, etc..."

Thanks for the Ojai Board interpretation.  Personally - if I'm going to go thru the trouble of posting I'd make it a bit more useful.  If I want to hide the goods - don't post.  It seems silly.  IMO.  Cheers

author=Chamois link=topic=35335.msg144810#msg144810 date=1452030974]
Thanks for the Ojai Board interpretation.  Personally - if I'm going to go thru the trouble of posting I'd make it a bit more useful.  If I want to hide the goods - don't post.  It seems silly.  IMO.   Cheers

Like I said, I understand your point.  I still find this post useful.  I do think this one is especially spartan cause there was consistency in the conditions throughout. 

author=Chamois link=topic=35335.msg144810#msg144810 date=1452030974]
Thanks for the Ojai Board interpretation.  Personally - if I'm going to go thru the trouble of posting I'd make it a bit more useful.  If I want to hide the goods - don't post.  It seems silly.  IMO.   Cheers
Well, I very much appreciate these sorts of trip reports. "Very nice fresh snow from 1700' up!  4-12" depending on altitude and aspect." tells me something quite useful about snow to the west of the Pass as of yesterday. We've gone round and round on this discussion through the years, and there are those of us who see value in such minimalist trip reports that only specify a region, and those of you who don't. Same for virtually every format of report. You can't make everyone happy with anything. And I'd hate to see folks avoiding sharing useful tidbits of info like this because of a fear of being critiqued on their reporting style. When you're writing the TR, you can write it to your own standards!  :D

Like Phil said, thanks Silas!

author=joecat2 link=topic=35335.msg144790#msg144790 date=1452007981]
Bandera- Defiance Adventure zone no doubt.

Haha

We know Silas is getting some at least

Sorry to offend Chamois and maybe others.  Glad for those who understand and appreciate my desire to share conditions I found (and you might find in the same general region) without losing ski partners who prefer only to take info from TAY and not give even such minimal data.  As the joker said, you can't please everyone.  It ain't what you ski, it's who you enjoy it with IMHO.  Rant on ......?

Está bien.  Hacer tus propias cosas

I must quote Pooh:

"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude."

Thanks for the TRs, Silas. Keep em coming.

I don't post my private powder stash locations mostly so I don't have to deal with people there (cheers) - the internet is extremely powerful at uninternded consequences, especially if your spray has super color powder shots and words like "epic" and "untracked".  But I do like the fun stories of skiing so I keep posting about some of those powder days.  With innocuous names like "Front Range, Colorado."  Those stashed still do not have cars in the parking lot. 

Silas' comments are super helpful only to people who have the wherewithall to understand the elevation and exposures he talks about applied to their own adventures.  Anyone complaining needs to go back to the lifts and ask ski patrol where they should ski.

The guys who skied Mailbox peak and Mt Si the other week are my kind of guys, but that terrain represents the extreme of posiibilities in the I90 corridor and it's nice for folks to still have quiet places to enjoy so close to the hussle of Seattle. 

There were some I90 gems that I'm glad 8 years since leaving North Bend, I don't read about as getting busy from TAY propoganda. 

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Reply to this TR

january-4-2016-west-of-snoqualmie-pass
silaswild
2016-01-04 16:28:36