Home > Trip Reports > Jan 3, Stacker Butte Columbia River Gorge

Jan 3, Stacker Butte Columbia River Gorge

1/3/16
Posted by pabloson on 1/3/16 5:12am
This thing has been mocking me for weeks - "ski me you moron!".  So I did.  I mean it's only 5 minutes from my house...  It's just kind of tricky to get access to w/o trespassing or getting your car stuck until the spring thaw.

The skiing was very good.  15 degrees, a few inches of new, and some deep powder stashes.  I was amazed at the size of the cornices up top.

I too have skied that venerable place and the photo of the power line steeps with not only the danger of huge avalanches but electrocution, define what is at the heart of EXTREME terrain.  Glad you could share that, hang loose, get some.

Damn!  I thought I was the first!

Actually my post may be misleading - 15 degrees was the temperature not the slope angle (i've been spending too much time in the weather chat room)  The north facing slopes are nice and steep and right in the Avy ballpark 25-35, but you would have to get some crazy big air to get electrocuted  :D

It seems Stacker Butte becomes skiable every 5 years or so.  I had a good year to try about 10 years ago but couldn't find the way up without taking the risk of pissing off a landowner.  Where exactly do you start up and what are the limits of wandering around after leaving the road?  Where to park?

Way to go, seems like this year will be the year to get those great lines that have been taunting us. I have several in my back yard that need skiing, thanks for reminder.

Thanks Jtack.  Looks like some more snow for the lowlands this weekend!  I've been eye-balling Nestor Peak...

Reply to this TR

jan-3-stacker-butte-columbia-river-gorge
pabloson
2016-01-03 13:12:21