Home > Trip Reports > Dec 30, 2015, Rock's West slope

Dec 30, 2015, Rock's West slope

12/30/15
Posted by Kenji on 12/31/15 2:03pm
David and I finally got to ski Rock's West slope in powder.  We left our car at 8:30AM at 15F, a very early start for us.  Thanks to the trail broken all the way to the upper ridge (we'd prefer a bit gentler and fewer switchbacks, though it's still much faster than breaking our own), we made a speedy progress having lunch before 1pm on the summit ridge.  A group of two (Peter and ?) caught up with us, but nobody else.  The upper part of the West slope was a little wind affected, but got better as we descended.  We stopped a shy of the lake at the bottom, about 1600' deep powder run under the blue sky.

It took us long time to get back up to the ridge, and the sun was getting low.

We still had 4000' descent without the sunlight.  Last headlamp skiing in the 2015 season, we actually had the most fun night skiing thanks to the very forgiving deep snow.

My last tour of the year, happy skiing to everyone.  More pics here.

Peter, did you guys ski the North slope?
Great TR and the photos were wonderful.  Rocks West Face .  ;)

Wow, beautiful photos! And nice report. Thanks

Fantastic photos, Kenji. Thanks!

Kenji,
Jason and I looked at the north slope but determined that we had neither the daylight or energy to skin back up.  We slid east from the summit to ski one of the steeper lines down to Rock Lake, but lost our nerve when we couldn't see over a roller.  So back to the top and one run down to the lake right under where we skinned up to the ridge.  Nice turns, but not long enough.  We looked back to our attempted line and it would have gone!

Rad photos as always!  It was nice to meet you guys.

Pete

Reply to this TR

dec-30-2015-rock-s-west-slope
Kenji
2015-12-31 22:03:59