Home > Forum > Stuck cargo box lock.

Stuck cargo box lock.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
31 Dec 2015 16:38 #225542 by OldHouseMan
Stuck cargo box lock. was created by OldHouseMan
I've never had this happen until today. It was tough to tell whether the lock cylinder or the locking mechanisms were frozen or if a ski was jamming up the locking mechanism. Regardless, the locks on either side of the box would not unlock. It did finally unlock when we stopped for a beer at lower elevation. So based on this, I'm leaning toward a frozen lock cylinder or mechanism. After getting home, I did spray all the moving parts with a silicon lubricant.

This is a Thule Cascade XT, probably purchased 7-8 years ago.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
31 Dec 2015 18:23 #225545 by wooley12
Replied by wooley12 on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
Yep. Thule Frontier. Get some de-icer and a lighter to heat the key if it needs it.

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
01 Jan 2016 09:15 #225547 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
I loved my thule until this happened to me. Now I have a yakima box which has a lever, unlike the thule where the key attempts to move the frozen latch. Though the main problem was I let water get in the latches...which then froze at higher elevation. Hopefully I will remember to put my skis in quickly and not ever test whether the lever actually can break the ice on the frozen latches.

More
01 Jan 2016 09:16 #225548 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
Yep, same brand same problem. It was on a very rainy day that turned to ice then snow as drove up. Thanks for reminding me to lube.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
01 Jan 2016 10:23 #225549 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
Not sure about the Thule, but my Yakima box cylinder is the exact same diameter as the cigarette lighter in my car. The few times my Yakima lock froze, I held my car lighter against the cylinder - thawed out and worked every time.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
01 Jan 2016 11:07 #225550 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
We tried using a lighter to heat the key and the cigarette lighter to heat the lock with no luck. We could insert the key into both cylinders but they wouldn't turn.

I had not thought of carrying deicer. It would work for the lock cylinder but would be tough to spray into the lock mechanism inside the box.

More
01 Jan 2016 11:35 #225551 by DW
Replied by DW on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.

I've never had this happen until today. It was tough to tell whether the lock cylinder or the locking mechanisms were frozen or if a ski was jamming up the locking mechanism. Regardless, the locks on either side of the box would not unlock. It did finally unlock when we stopped for a beer at lower elevation. So based on this, I'm leaning toward a frozen lock cylinder or mechanism. After getting home, I did spray all the moving parts with a silicon lubricant.

This is a Thule Cascade XT, probably purchased 7-8 years ago.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Being sincere when I say this... Is it the right key? My own experience with Thule is that all keys will fit the cylinder, but only one turns the cylinder. Just a thought!!!

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
02 Jan 2016 00:56 - 02 Jan 2016 01:00 #225568 by wooley12
Replied by wooley12 on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.

We tried using a lighter to heat the key and the cigarette lighter to heat the lock with no luck. We could insert the key into both cylinders but they wouldn't turn.

I had not thought of carrying deicer. It would work for the lock cylinder but would be tough to spray into the lock mechanism inside the box.

I unfroze a frozen door lock for 4 young ladies in a Forester at Hyak today with hot water from the microwave. Not always handy. The heated key plus blowing on the key hole plus warm spit and cursing used in combination with de-icer has worked in the past. I run from NB (the rain forest)  to The Summit (-32deg) a lot so I make sure all the mechanisms in the box are clean and lubed with graphite  I have had skis mess with closing/opening so sometimes I've had to re arrange the load or shake the box.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
02 Jan 2016 09:29 #225569 by OldHouseMan

Being sincere when I say this... Is it the right key?  My own experience with Thule is that all keys will fit the cylinder, but only one turns the cylinder.  Just a thought!!!

No offense taken. It was the correct key, we even thought of this.

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
02 Jan 2016 09:39 #225570 by OldHouseMan

I unfroze a frozen door lock for 4 young ladies in a Forester at Hyak today with hot water from the microwave. Not always handy. The heated key plus blowing on the key hole plus warm spit and cursing used in combination with de-icer has worked in the past. I run from NB (the rain forest)  to The Summit (-32deg) a lot so I make sure all the mechanisms in the box are clean and lubed with graphite  I have had skis mess with closing/opening so sometimes I've had to re arrange the load or shake the box.

We were 1 1/2 hours up a forest service road, so no microwave. We had chains, saws, a come-a-long, rope and straps. I guess a camp stove may now be necessary.

We shook and pounded on the box and even drove up and down the road trying to move something with no luck.

• steepndeep
  • [steepndeep]
More
04 Jan 2016 10:22 #225587 by steepndeep
Replied by steepndeep on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
I have a Thule that's about 10 years old and have the same problem. The locks never work in the cold. Works great all summer, but try to go to the mountains in winter and nothing doing. I finally added a hasp and a padlock because they would never open in the cold

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
04 Jan 2016 17:31 #225592 by gravitymk
Replied by gravitymk on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
I have a Thule Altantis 2100 roof box, it's the sort that can be opened on either side.

Is yours like this?

If so, on mine I have found that it isn't the key mechanism that freezes, instead it's the mechanism that runs to the hinge/closure latch on either end of the box. On mine, banging on the side of the box seems to loosen it up and make it function again.

More
04 Jan 2016 18:38 #225596 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.
I have the frontier and its not happened yet. I do get kind of wary with that flimsy key snapping when something jams the locking mechanism (every time) so can see how the icing would be a PITA to force. Normally I don't have this box on the car so everything dries out, but I've been to lazy and riding too much this month to remove it!

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Jan 2016 21:11 #225608 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Stuck cargo box lock.