Home > Trip Reports > December 04, 2005, Alpental BC

December 04, 2005, Alpental BC

12/4/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Seth on 12/4/05 10:56pm
Pineapple Pass/Piss Pass , 12/4/05

Holly, Eric, Ernie, Kobe, and myself started up Alpentals backcountry trail around nine-thirty on Sunday.  The weather was cold and crisp with blue skies above.  We were all excited about the possibilities to come.  Our first destination for the day was Pineapple Pass.  We utilized the skin track that was previously set up to Piss Pass (Thanks to whoever made the initial slog up the mountain!  The snow was deep.  It must have been a good effort.).  On the way up the mountain we did see evidence of some soft slabs that broke on several different east aspects earlier in the week.  The fracture lines appeared to be about 8 inches deep.  The snow didn’t appear to go very far.  At about the top of Big Trees Eric and I dug a pit.

The pit was on a Northeast facing 35 degree slope.  There was about 36 inches of new snow on top of the crust from 2 weeks ago.  The new snow was still pretty unconsolidated.  We found two slightly weak layers within the new snow.  One about a foot down.  The other about two feet down.  We got an uneven two shear on both week layers when we did a shovel shear test.  No substantial results with a compression test.

When we got to Piss Pass, Kobe was blown.  Too many Thanksgiving milkbones for that dog.  Ernie, we have decided you need a personal trainer for that dog.  He needs a program to get him in shape while you burn the midnight oil at Work.  Ernie was a good father and slowly led him down the skin track back to the car.  Holly, Eric, and I continued up to Pineapple Pass, then traversed over to Great Scott Bowl.  In hindsight, there was not enough snow for this route.  The traverse from Pineapple Pass to Great Scott was very rocky.  There was also sluffing of the top 4inches; of snow.  We were glad when that part was over.  Luckily we were rewarded with untracked pow when we got to the bowl.  Good times.  After Great Scott we traversed over to No Fog.  Also, untracked good times.  At the bottom we decided to head up to Piss Pass again.  From Piss Pass we followed tracks down Martins Bowl.  More good times.
thanks Seth for your info.
I see from Telemetry that it warmed up briefly to 34 degrees down at snoqualmie pass on Sunday--was the pow pow becoming heavy?

I see it's been 33 degrees several hours today.  Thinking of skiing over there tomorrow.  any thoughts?  wonder if Alpental will open their BC tomorrow.  How was the coverage farther over skier's left past China bowl in the Chair peak area?

thanks!

I see from Telemetry that it warmed up briefly to 34 degrees down at snoqualmie pass on Sunday--was the pow pow becoming heavy?

Monika.
I was up on the Kendall Ridge Clear Cut area yesterday. Snow in the unexpected sun did become "heavier" by mid afternoon, but still quite nice. North facing slopes and shadowed areas were noticably lighter; snow in the treed decent was tasty.

Have fun!

The snow did get a little heavier as the day went on.  Still pretty good for the pass.

The slopes off of Chair Peak looked skiable.  However from past experience the snow pack might be a little low still.  You might need to be prepared to hit some rocks.

Reply to this TR

december-04-2005-alpental-bc
Seth
2005-12-05 06:56:58