Home > Trip Reports > Rock Mtn, 27

Rock Mtn, 27

12/27/15
Posted by maxjowen on 12/29/15 9:06am
Got out to Rock Mtn on Sunday for a fun day of trail breaking in deep powder. Visibility was poor all day and the light continued to deteriorate as the day went on and the snow increasingly fell. We cut the corner on the summer trail and met up with the trail on the ridge at about 3,600'.  Followed the trail from that point.  Powder was a little heavy at times and surprisingly not wind affected on the ridge.  Boot to knee deep while breaking trail and if you had the unfortunate moment of not being on your skis, right up to your chest. The wind did not pick up until around 5k where it is a lot more exposed. We were surprised to find very stable snow and hand pits did not reveal any wind slabs or variation at multiple elevations along the ridge.  When we stayed on the east side of the ridge the snow at and below tree line didn't vary. It did ski rather heavy, but was great on the steep ridge and a couple open shots allowed for the best turns of the day. Slow going, 6 hrs up gained us only 3k'. We turned around at pt. 5490. I would go back in a heart beat to summit, ski down the north side and traverse over to Howard if time allowed. Sorry, my pics are too big?. I'll try to post them later.

Reply to this TR

rock-mtn-27
maxjowen
2015-12-29 17:06:15